Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

creative solution needed

TractorChic

If I have read all the posts correctly I haven't seen anyone address the snow issues. Will the hay need to be transported from one location to the barn/feed yard to feed the animals? If so I don't think the Allis and a trailer loaded with a round bale will make it thru snow or up any inclines. "As close to the shed under a tarp" is a good start but there seems to be some walking to feed involved. Again I suggest getting them close and cutting them up Leatherface style, with a chainsaw. We are lucky enough that we stocked up on 500 bales for winter as prices are shooting thru the roof in Wisconsin with the drought. Even though fields are greening back up there was no 2nd crop cut and what is going to get cut now will not make up for that loss. A lot of animals are for sale and going to slaughter because people can afford to feed them.

Are the bales plastic-wrapped, and how far do you have to go? No one seems to have suggested slipping a pipe through the middle of the bale, yoking a rope over the ends and towing it, letting it roll on its own. Is the roll too tight to permit this? If one bale won't stay upright, you could get a longer pipe (heavy-duty PVC, even?) and do two at once for more stability. You might have to find a big enough diameter pipe to keep from pulling through the bales, but this setup might work better than butting the bales with the front of a vehicle. Or would the rolling damage the hay too much for fussy animals?

Don't know if you found something or not but you might look at this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Axle-Round-Bale-Mover-/170895250237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ca26933d

If you don't have to move many and have a boat trailer, it might work. Detach it from your hauler, tilt up and pull on with the winch over the rollers. Some adaptation might be needed, make it look like the hauler wilm showed from ebay.

• 1 month later...
We are looking for one of those single hitch movers as was posted earlier ... they have a few different models out there. One day, maybe when we win the lotto. Or sell more bacon and beef :)

Terrain is everything if you're a flatlander you might move the bales on a wagon or trailer on a good day with hard dry ground,a little rain/snow and you're stuck,on hills you're dead pulling a load is one thing stopping a load is a whole 'nother matter.I handle round bales all the time and can think right off hand of two farmers I know that have been killed by round bales while handling them,they aren't playtime.Even rolling them can be dangerous I've seen them tear down fences and smash buildings when they rolled off a hill.

That's my little grandaughter Molly--and you can tell she's pushing hard and hoping daddy doesn't let that thing roll back on her!! Molly and her sister Ellie...yes--proud grandpa here!!

If you stuck a pipe through the middle and attached it to a rigid y-shaped yoke instead of using ropes, you'd be able to control things pretty well. It would ony move one roll at a time, though. A wagon might move more at once.