Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

3212H Noise BGB or Pulley?

joelk
I have this terrible rattling noise when I push in the clutch and thought sure it was the BGB, so I split the tractor took it out on the bench and deemed it to be just fine (good practice I guess). As I am putting it back together I find that the noise starts when I put the pulley on the transmission side of the bgb (belt is still off). If I take the pulley off no noise. What the? I really don't know what I'm doing so I have a few questions. When everything is tightened up, the spacer on the transmission side should be tight to BGB and spin with pulley correct? Is there a supposed to be a washer between pulley and spacer? Most importantly what is making that noise. Pulley while not new condition looks ok. This is driving me crazy and with the recent rain I need to cut grass. Any help is appreciated.

GrincheyOne
Joel, I have to guess, that you are referring to the "slip clutch pulley". This has 2 nylon inserts; one is a disk like ring, the other is a coiled strip inside the assembly. This pulley isheld onto the BGB drive-output shaft with a 1-1/8" nut. There is a set screw and key attaching the inner face of the pulley to the BGB shaft, if this is not tight, the halves of the pulley will chatter ( this also leads to a brilling of the BGB shaft keyway) The two long trrough cap screws from the manual start cup to the inner pulley half need to be tight, else you have a bunch of hardware bouncing around. The nylon parts have to be replaced periodically. This is one busy component of the drive system. Wayne here is a clip of the IPL for the BGB

Talntedmrgreen
The Hydro's don't have a slip clutch, as the geared machines do. Here is what we're working with...it's a keyed shaft and pulley, just like the PTO side. Is the pulley too loose/wallowed out, or is the key not snug? Probably wouldn't take much slop to growl.
[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/Tractor%20Parts%20%20Reference/3212HDrive.png[/img]

[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/Tractor%20Parts%20%20Reference/3212HBGB.png[/img]

joelk
No the pully fits snug and the key fits tight. I haven't tightened the nut at the end of the shaft yet, but I had the same noise when I took it apart so I don't think that will matter.

PhanDad
Joel, Usually the rattling on a Vickers hydro when the clutch is depressed is other items - the various linkages, idlers, etc that are "unloaded" when the clutch is depressed. But from your description (you get the noise with out the belt installed and only the change is the addition of the pulley) it must be something else. First thought is the pulley isn't tightened on the shaft and it could matter because that's what sets the alignment. Second thought, maybe it's an overall alignment issue. Don't know if you replaced seals while you had the box out. The correct spacer between the pulley and gearbox (AP in the above schematic, but it's shown on the wrong side of the BGB) is required along with correct shims. And according to one of "bob1959" posts, a replacement seal can have a different height requiring additional shims. See these posts for some further discussion: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112014&SearchTerms=BGB,spacer http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118169&SearchTerms=BGB,spacer These posts reference other posts for even more reading. Final thought is the outboard bearing going bad - pulley installed adds some imbalance putting a radial load on bearing which then makes noise. Let us know what you find.

joelk
Had a chance to do some more troubleshooting. I didn't replace anything on the BGB. The shims (2 of them) look correct, just to edge of BGB housing. I did tighten up the pulley (pulled the shaft a good 1/4" towards the nut side). Once it tightened up I tried it again and the sound was still there. If I take a block of wood and press down on the pulley it changes the sound and goes away for a while but then returns. I guess your final thought was correct, the outside bearing is going. It really looked and sounded fine when I had it out, but apparently not. For now I'm going to cover my ears and use it untill next drought or fall whichever comes first.