Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

power to the wire but no blue fire

hotwire

Hey fellas, I'm having a problem with the 66 landlord 101. I used it two weeks ago, mowed the lawn no problem, put it away like always, nothin to indicate a problem. Pulled it out yesterday to mow, and it wouldnt start. I have voltage at the spark plug terminal (enough to make me not want to touch it again) but i have no spark at the plug gap. I cleaned the plug and tried to look for spark again, nothing. tried a different plug, no fire, tried a new plug (from a different machine)and no visable spark. I checked the gap at the points, it was a little closer than .020, so i re-adjusted to .020. it made no difference (i didnt think it would, but i tried anyway) I dont understand how the spark plug wire can shock the goodness out of me, but the plug can have no fire, and yes the plug was grounded to the head bolt that i just shined up with a wire brush and sandpaper. any ideas? A bad plug made sense, but after trying 3 plugs with the same result, i cant believe thats it.

Perhaps a bad plug wire? Has to be just so to transfer the charge? You could keep moving it around while spinning it over and holding on to it to see if it has a dead spot/s.:o)

i've tesed the coil using the meter and got 6.6k ohms. According to the fluke testing steps i found here, that seems to be within range. How can i test the condenser? I've also cleaned the spark plug connector and crimped it down a bit, so its a nice tight fit, still the same prob. I have held the spark plug connector near the head bolt, and get a small blue arc, but looks very small. Obviously i'm getting spark, just not enough to get a hot spark through the plug. I gotta get my yard mowed, what else to check? Thanks guys.

i just went to the garage and took a piece of the jc penney (which has a thrown rod at the moment)and wired it up to the landlord. It replaces the condenser / points system, and she fired right up on the first lick like always. Somebody tell me what i did? ;-)Obviously the condenser was weak, but what is the conversion part called that i replaced it with? necessity is the mother of invention.

quote:
Originally posted by hotwire
Obviously the condenser was weak, but what is the conversion part called that i replaced it with? necessity is the mother of invention.
Did it look similar to this?

quote:
Originally posted by hotwire
Bob, Post a pick or link, i'd like to see...
Doh!!!!! Sorry :o) http://www.stenspartsdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=58_539_1035&products_id=5333

Bob, Thats it.... different, but but thats it. So how does that replace the condenser and points? I'm going to order a new condenser and put it on, but just curious whats going on inside that little thingy that works. ;-)