Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Viva-la-B-110

Thinking of getting a sickle mower

Viva-la-B-110
I'm thinking of getting a sickle mower for my B110 to use to keep some land I have trimmed up and maybe make some extra cash on the side (lot of fields around here owned by people who don't have the equipment to keep it up themselves). I'm wondering how well these mowers actually work and what kind of cover they cut. Also, any tips on operating them? Thanks!

Chris727
They are not practical for doing large acreages. They will leave the cut hay on the ground which is unsightly unless it will be raked and baled. It sounds like a tractor and a bush hog might be more inline for that kind of work. The sickles are really more of a "cool-factor" item than they are something practical for use. Many of the wear parts are NLA too (rock guards, wear plates, knife-heads, etc.)

Talntedmrgreen
My sickle bar is great for a couple tasks around here...mowing a 30-40' ditch bank a time or two each summer, and mowing under and around pines. Other than that, it's just neat to use periodically. They require a reduced RPM, which in turn slows your ground speed, making for some slow progress on larger jobs, and as Chris points out, they simply leave your cuttings lay. I find the Weedcutter far more effective for knocking down growth. It's a smoother operator, runs at WOT, and I can fly in 3rd gear, depending on the stuff I'm cutting. Those too, use NLA parts though...and I wouldn't want to use a garden tractor for any serious acreage.