Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MSRP in 1968 for a 2110

brozak

Does anyone know what the MSRP was for a 2110 in 1968? I've searched a bit and found nothing. Has anyone ever kept track of old MSRPs? The reason I'm asking is because I would like to add that info. to a small printed summary I display on the unit at shows. I'm also in search of the MSRP of a sickle mower for the same unit. -

Mark, Right between 1968 and about 1972 Simplicity, and Allis tractors w/ mowers, and gear transaxles were running around $100/HP! Thus, a 2110 would have run about $1,000. Wayne

The 2110 was $797.00....$926.00 with hydrolift. Lots of cool info here... http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/price_lists.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
The 2110 was $797.00....$926.00 with hydrolift. Lots of cool info here... http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/price_lists.htm
Does anyone know what that would translate into in today's dollars? Just curious as to how it would compare to buying a Legacy or Prestige, etc, today.

Acording to that calculator it cost over $6k for the hydro lift model in today's dollars. That kind of puts the "old vs new" debate into perspective. Sure, the new big box store so-called GT's don't compare to the old iron. But, they only cost around $2k as opposed to $6k. And the cost of the true GT's, such as a Legacy, doesn't sound so high when you realize what people were paying for their predecessors in today's dollars.

Even the department store tractors carried high price tags. My 1971 Sears Hydro-trac was $1184.95 plus $189.95 for the 48" rotary mower. That was their top of the line model at the time. I think the HB-212 was a little higher. Today people buy an average lawn tractor for about the same price but complain about the quality.

Using Ray's calculator, that's just a tad over $7k in today's dollars. According to Simplicity's website that's more than what it costs for a new Prestige, and just over $1k less than it costs for a new Legacy (tractor only; 2wd, I would guess).

Interesting thread guys. Is the big box store so-called GT really a garden tractor?? Are they capable of ground engaging?? There are other forums that debate this, and the end result is always the same. These guys fabricate a hitch to use ground engaging equipment, then they start having part failures not covered under warranty. I'm not afraid to pull my Brinly plow through hard soil with my 2110, and I would be equally confident pulling the same plow through the same soil with a Prestige, or a Legacy. Start going down in size in Simplicity's line, and I would have concerns about ruining the tractor pulling a plow. Of course, I'm also the same guy that owns a 30yo motorcycle and doing the same type of riding that guys are spending $20,000+ for a new bike.