Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 question

osenga

Ok this is a couple questions here but this has to be answered 1st Well I know I have bought a few 725's in the past and sold them to make a buck but now since all I really have is FDT's The 725 had both short and long steering shafts correct ? And on what seats were used on these say early and late model?

A few years ago I was asking too. Here is a response I got from Kirk (thedaddycat). If you do a search of the archives for 700 725 posted by him, you will find plenty of good reading. Kirk did a LOT of research on those models at one time. The quick skinny on the WB/700/725, these are the "At a Glance" things to look for... The Wonder Boy and 700 will usually have a straight shifter, two piece seat, no remote choke, short steering shaft, no pulley guard over right BGB pulley & rope cup, no holes in fender for guard either. Engine will be a Briggs Model 19 Type 706035, if original. An early 725 is likely to have a two piece seat, straight shifter, short steering shaft, no remote choke, and no pulley guard or fender holes. It will have a Briggs Model 19, Type 706047 engine if it's original. Judging by the literature available, in 1963 they went to the pan seat, pulley guard, tall steering shaft, remote choke, and the Model 19 D engine. I and others have come to the conclusion that Simplicity used the same stock photos for several years and even different models. It sure looks to me like some of the 700 and 725 pics are the exact same ones.... LOL

I've seen brochure pics of the 725 with both style seats...early white with backrest, and later pan style like the later Simps wore. I know the WB700 and 700 had short steering, but not sure if that changed after they switched to the 725, or sometime before during the 700 production. Both my WB7 and my regular 7 have short steering. PITA getting the hood opened sometimes :)

Well Dan and Josh thanks for the info. The WB700 is kirks old one I got from dan lol So off to the next question. In the process of restoring a WB700 picked up from dan 700 Garden mark squire 725 These are all the same but the emblems. But the first 3 listed are short steering shafts. And want to see what you guys would do for the 725 on the steering shaft long or short? Long one will give ease of opening the hood. But if I go short they would all look alike but the emblems. And have parts to go either way on this project .

Here's Todd's 725, http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122043 Short steering shaft, straight shifter, two piece seat and short steering column.

Todds has 700 emblems on it in the pics. There were also early and late versions of the mid PTO, as well as short and long clutch pedals. By '63 there would have been changes to the clutch and brake linkages as well, from what I have seen. It would be nice to see examples of each variation with the original serial # tags still in place. I had also heard somewhere (thought it was here) that some WB700's had the Model 19FB with ball bearings.