Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
globalmkts

Bad at Mulching?

globalmkts
This is my second posting about buying a mulching kit for my recently acquired 1997 Regent. (This is my first tractor and I'm trying not to make any rookie mistakes!) I scheduled an appointment at my local Simplicity dealer to go over it and while it's there install a mulching kit. The most experienced service technician said he did NOT recommend using it for mulching because it does a lousy job of getting rid of the clippings. Even if the grass is dry and you mow every four days so the grass isn't high, he has had lots of complaints from customers and will not refund any money for the job. I've heard this from others on the internet so I guess I'll hold off on the mulching kit. How about some input from Regent owners please. THANKS Michael L.

Dadsy98
Michael Mulching sounds like a good idea but, I feel it is over stated. If you bag your clippings there has to be a place to put them. My mother puts them in her garden. Many folks would put them curbside for the trash pick up. that is not a good way to go. If you cut your lawn based on growth, you won't need to mulch or bag! My feeling is to let the clippings fly! My yard used to be an alfalfa field. Now it's sedge , clover and field grasses. I never bagged, mulched, fertilized, chemicaled. Just cut it. here's a picture of it last month. http://dadsy98.homestead.com/files/P7190005.jpg

Kent
I'll second the opinion. I think my Sovereign (gull wing blades), without mulch kit, does a better job of distributing clippings by just "letting them fly" than my dedicated push mulching mower that I used at my old house. The yard honestly looks like it's been mulched. Cut it a few times based on growth. You may be as nicely suprised as I was. Regards. P.S. Plus when the dog goes out, it doesn't come back in with a bunch of mulched grass in its fur.