Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKB replacement progress

PatterBrian

It took me about 4 hours to pull the CCKB, including figuring out how to rig a hoist in the shed, and including a lot of sheet metal, the seat, and the dust covers in front of the seat and underneath the tractor. I found a previously unknown hydro fluid leak. Used up another two hours in a failed attempt to fix a broker power washer. I ended up cleaning with WalMart oven cleaner and a hose. The new engine is in place. The pulleys in back and the front clutch are installed. The belts are giving me a bit of trouble, as I have never done the before. I think it will go easily once I figure how to hold down the clutch pedal. The engine, from SEW, arrived two days early via a very helpful truck driver. He was well rewarded with fresh plums, peaches and apples. The only problem so far is that one hole on one flange on the muffler doesn't match the engine. I modified the hole, because I didn't want to slow things down to wait for a replacement. The oil drain extension as too short to reach the old drain hole in the frame, so I replaced it with an 18" piece of 1/2" PCV hose, since I had to go to Autozone anyway for fuel line and new battery cables. The drain plug in the new Vanguard has been replaced with a nice valve, opened with a small wrench. The engine is very nicely set up by SEW, with all components attached to the engine and a chart of the wiring they added to the engine. I hop to finish today. I'll put up a progress report this evening.

I have heard of people using a ratchet strap to hold down the clutch pedal. I don't own a 4040 (or the like) so I can't giv eyou a picture or the routing of the strap. But again others on this site have used the strap and have suggested it to others. Rick........

Rick... Thanks for the suggestion. Problem solved.. This frame has had three engines in it. CCKB. Other engine(Vanguard). CCKB again. I suspect this because there is a modification, extra shims already in place in the clutch, which the Vanguard requires. All of the wires have been spliced twice, and all are now tan so I have to rip off greasy duct tape to find the original color. This is the installation from hell. Murphy has moved to New Mexico.

Brian, Thanks for the update. I am real hopeful for you that this engine will be everything you want it to be and that it will add many years of good use to your tractor. I will be curious to hear how you feel about it overall after it is all said and done, and you get some use out of it.

I got the wiring worked out yesterday. I got a repair manual from John ( thanks ) and saw the the unused yellow wire need to connect to the battery, and figured out that the plug on the engine wis a mirror image of what it should have been, no problem. Probably due to the extreme tight fit of the engine, the clutch will not disengage. It seems to be rubbing the sheet metal one the engine. I'll pull the engine tomorrow, and see where the marks are. Yesterday and today are my days to take water from the irrigation ditch, so nothing more until tomorrow.

Put the engine in between other chores. Everything connected up, but didn't put in the gas tank. Horrible clanking noise when I turned the key. I thought I had broken a valve or thrown a rod. Pulled the engine again, and hit the starter with jumper cable from the battery. Everything sounds perfect. The screws which hold the perforated screen are beat up; clearly something besides the pulley was spinning in there, but I sure can't find it now. The rest of today looks to be tied up processing corn with my wife, and plums need to be picked tomorrow. Meanwhile the grass is growing and I have broken limbs from 3 apple trees to move. Sure need that tractor.

I figured out that all I need to do to fix the noise mentioned above is move the engine forward 1/4". A friend with a reamer is coming over in the morning to help enlarge the engine mount holes by 1/8". He even offered to stop by the hardware store for bigger bolts. Sweetheart. I mentioned that there are signs that this tractor had a Vanguard in it bore. based on the amount of dirt on the new clutch shims (very little), moved to accommodate the Vanguard, I think the PO put it in recently, then pulled it to sell the tractor with the old engine. Bastard!

The engine is in and running. All I have left is the sheet metal, including the hood, which needs clearance space cut in the cross brace. I will run for a day or two with the covers off the space around the pump. I'm not sure if there is a leak back there or just oil from the engine. I'm betting on a leak. I'm looking for a seat. See my ad in classifieds.

The new engine is in and running. With it, the mowing performance of the tractor is awesome. I tackled and took down foot tall grass the morning after a rain, which I couldn't have done before. Installation was harder than I expected, although Small Engine Warehouse warned that "modification might be required"Due to the length of the engine, I had to ream the engine mounting bolds to move it forward a bit. That left the clearance to install the belt for the deck just a bit skinnier than I wanted, but still enough. I may grind 1/4" off the lip at the back of the battery tray to make it easier. The throttle and choke cables bow out a bit far, where there is a danger of them getting hung up on low hanging branches in the orchard, but I'll be able to fix that easily. I'm still struggling with the electrical connections. the starter and the battery chaging circuit aren't correct. Fixing this is aggravated by some funky work by the PO. For now, I'm just hot wiring the starter and putting the battery charger on at night. I should get these things taken care of in a day of two. Overall, I happy to have made the change and pleased with the product. Without the kit produced by SEW, I could never have done this. I thought they just added a motor mount and exhaust manifold. In fact, they have done a lot of wiring and component installation on the engine. it would likely have dropped in and plugged in with no problem on most tractors.

Thank you for keeping us posted. dOddOd If you have the ability and technology some photos would be great to see the motor installed.

Good to hear you are at least up and running during your busy busy time. I'm impressed with how you got this done quickly to get back to having tractor available for immediate use. Battery chargers are great, huh. sm01 Keep those cards and letters coming - when you have time.