Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

Removing Alternator Magnets from Kohler Flywheel

midnightpumpkin
The alternator on our 17GTH-L with the Kohler KT17 series II engine was only outputing 12 volts AC at full throttle. This is with the regulator disconnected and measuring directlly across the stator leads. After pulling the flywheel and determining that the Stator met all specs and shows no signs of burned insulation, I checked the polarity of the magnets in the flywheel using a test magnet and the method described here: [url]http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/id2.html[/url] See fig 7.7B Sure enough a PO had installed the magnets incorrectly. There are six magnets, 3 of one polarity are adjacent, 3 of the other polarity are adjacent. They need to be alternating around the flywheel. The issue now is how to remove the magnets without damaging them??? Any suggestions? Thanks, John U

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Any idea how they were attached? Epoxy, or similar?
Some sort of glue for sure, not much glue/epoxy shows on the edges of the magnets. John U

Multiplicity
I recently removed a "Noisy Briggs Flywheel" only to find all the Magnets loose inside and rubbing the Armature.....I carefully Epoxied them all back in place and have had no problem.....

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by Multiplicity
I recently removed a "Noisy Briggs Flywheel" only to find all the Magnets loose inside and rubbing the Armature.....I carefully Epoxied them all back in place and have had no problem.....
The problem I have is that the previous owner glued the magnets back in the wrong order, now I need to get them off, so I can put them in the right order.

GLPointon
John I was thinking about heating the flywheel and gently prying...but...I think maybe an E-Mail to a Briggs svc tech line may be safer...if they have a help line???? Good luck sm01

PhanDad
Maybe a little heat and then use a piece of mono-filament fishing line and "saw" the glue behind the magnet. If fishing line won't cut the warmed glue, then try a coping saw blade. Next I'd try one of those "line type" hacksaw "blades". Problem with that would be the thickness, all the ones I've seen have a large diameter, maybe they make them in different thicknesses. And it might be obvious, you only need to remove 2 magnets and swap them. I only say this because I've seen others remove all of something installed the wrong order so they could put them back on in the right order before thinking about the task at hand.

LesH
I removed floor tiles that were glued down using dry ice. I just set the dry ice on the tile for a few minutes and the tiles popped off. You can get it as a small slab for less than $5. Be careful--- do not touch with your bare hand--- it will "burn" your hand. Handle with a thick leather glove. I think that would work. Good Luck!!!!

Al
Hi, Hi, I think I posted something about marking the magnets with paint dots when removing to eliminate this problem When I glue them in I use epoxy and use a vise grip clamp to squeeze the glue out so they are as low as possible for stator clearance. I would probable try using a flat steel bar and clean the glue off so the bar was again the magnet. Then I would hit it with a hammer and see if the side shock would break it loose. You might use a torch and heat it. Most epoxy will get soft at about 200 degrees. I don't think that 200 to 250 degrees would ruin the magnet. The factory glue would probably "knock loose" pretty easily. I typically use 2000 ob epoxy and it probably wouldn't. Don't know if I have helped any, but if worse comes to worse, there should be enough kt flywheels around from blown engines that if you have a major fail, you should be able to find a flywheel to harvest. Also might mention that at the factory the magnets are glued in and are magnetized after installation. Eliminates any mixups. I may add this to the post. Good luck, Al

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
John, In another post, I saw the KT back in the tractor so you must have gotten the magnets moved. How'd it go? What method worked?
Bought another KT flywheel off e-bay. That proved that it was the magnets out of sequence causing the problem and allowed me to complete the project. I haven't tried to get the magnets loose from the orginal flywheel. I know where I can buy dry ice locally, I may try that first. I also may try re-magnetizing the magnets in the flywheel as AL has reported the factory does. The flywheel will be a good project some cold winter day! John U

meanmotorman
5 minutes ago, meanmotorman said:

Ok the easiest way to remove the magnets on a Kohler Engines Flywheel is to put it in the oven while the oven is still cold turn it on to 300 degrees and wait till the flywheel comes up to temperature slowly so you don't fracture the magnets , after an hour take it to 350 degrees and wait a half hour then up to 400. Wait about 30 to 45 minutes and then very gently try to move the magnets with a screw driver or something of that nature if they are not free yet let it heat a little longer. I left mine for an hour and they slid out of place easy as pie.....