Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My 610 Allis

AllisWD45

I have an Allis 610 tractor and tiller i just bought. My problem is the tiller runs continuosly when the engine is running but when i step on the clutch the tiller stops. does anyone have any idea why it does this

Hello Ivan and welcome to the club! Your 610 is a small frame tractor, a version of the Simplicity Broadmoor. On this tractor, the tiller PTO pulley is tied directly to the transmission imput shaft. As you have discovered, this PTO pulley stops spinning when you depress the clutch. It is simply the way these tractors were designed. Dont let it bother you - it will still work just fine! Tom in Milwaukee

Welcome Ivan. What Tom said,,,, and,,,,,, There should be two belt stops near the drive pulley, they are made from 3/16" rod. There should also be a belt stop on the large, driven pulley. The belt stops function is to "hold" the belt away from the respective pulley to allow the pulley to rotate without turning the belt. The manual states that you should disengage the PTO before lifting the tiller from the soil. When starting, drop the tiller, then engage the PTO. Think of the operation kinda like a built in safety feature. Your ground speed and engine throttle will "set" the depth. Faster ground speed, shallower tilling.

If your tractor is MFR# = Model# = 1690064 then this link will lead to Simplicity Manuals, where you can find an Operators and also Parts MANUALS. for download. free. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/index.cfm?rd=1 . If that's not the correct tractor, let us know. OR, if you have an MFR#, you can type it in on the same page and get the Manuals that way also. Welcome to the Club, and greets form OntariariariO, eh. :D