Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB Issue - what could cause this noise? video

ken728

My '65 Big Ten has a noise coming from the BGB (I think) that concerns me. Maybe some of you folks can give me a clue as to what I should be looking for. The BGB does have some play in it - I'd say it's roughly a 1/4" of movement at the drive pulley before the the input shaft from the motor begins to move. The noise can be described as a chatter; it occurs when releasing the clutch pedal and just as the tractor begins to move. The noise only occurs right at the transistion from no-load to load on the transmission. After the tractor is underway it will handle all the load you can give it and the noise is never occurs - like I say, it only happens when "slipping" the clutch to get moving initially. The BGB and transmission are filled to level with oil. I have a link here to video where we feathered the clutch repeatedly to demonstrate the sound. Please watch the video and let me know what you think - much appreciated! [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYesis3nLRA&list=UUQhK-2BXT-IRie0PBZkONpQ&index=1&feature=plcp [/url]

I'm no longer a "gear tractor person", but if the Big 10 is like my B-110 used to be before I converted it to a hydro, it has a 2 part pulley on the BGB output shaft, tranny side. That pulley is supposed to "smooth" clutch engagement. I think the noise you hear is from that. Parts maybe shot or just dirty. Others should confirm and hopefully offer a solution.

Bill is most likely right. If you unbolt the "rope cup" off the clutch side of the bgb, the outer half of the pulley will come off. There are 2 pieces of plastic or nylon behind that. One is like a very large flat washer, and the other is a narrow strip that wraps around. Try cleaning both and the surfaces they ride on. If they are missing, I'm not sure but I thought they were still available. You can lube them, but just a DROP of oil, and wipe most of it back off, it will attract dirt. The nylon parts and the split pulley are designed to slip a bit during the no load to load transition, to avoid sudden grab of the belt. With that much rattle, yours might be missing.

pull the drive belt off and start it ?. check idler pulley . but sounds like the two piece drive pulley . I would start with taking that pulley off and checking the thin nylon thrust washers . should be two of them in there. also check the play in the BGB and if still no luck check the driveshaft Isolators and couple that slides on the front of the BGB. there is a hole underneath of frame you can check set screw tightness on that front coupler. let us know what you find out. its possible it could be the bevel gears in BGB. you can check those by pulling off the rear BGB cover while it's still on tractor. start with all the external ideas i gave first.

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
If they are missing, I'm not sure but I thought they were still available.
not sure still available but I have a new thrust washer still in the package. got it in a box of stuff. Part# 960172

Guys - really appreciate the feedback. I will check all that you mentioned and let you know what I find. This tractor sat for almost 10 years before I got it, so the nylon washer arrangement would certainly seem to be a logical place to look. I thought that the idler puller pulley was suspect as well. Have a good weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: it appears the cause of this was indeed the nylon thrust washers. A quick disassembly and cleaning helped the situation greatly, and I think I'll take the time to do it again and polish up the large washer a bit more since when I did it initially there was still a bit of rust discoloration on the large/flat washer. I did take the time to lap the metal surfaces with some wet/dry sandpaper that the flat washer contacts, so I think a bit more attention to all of this will have it working the best that it can. Today, I'm going to use the tractor to pull my dump trailer around and clean up the yard. Happy camper! Much appreciated!