Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ac.d17iv

Mounted Compact Vac Collector

ac.d17iv
I've found a compact vac for sell locally, which doesn't happen often in my area. Are these good setups? Best I can tell from the website, these came out with the 900 series. I would be mounting it on my 712H with 42" deck. What is a fair price? http://simpletractors.com/images/900_series_images/bagger.jpg Thanks!

HubbardRA
I have one of the PECO units(looks just like the one in the picture). It works great. I use it every fall to pick up the fallen leaves in my yard. Sure saves a lot of rakeing and after the leaves go through the mower and the vacuum they are pulverized and much more compact in size. Probably 4 to 5 bags of raked leaves in a single bag after running through this unit. It is one of the most useful attachments that I have ever purchased, and well worth having even if it is only used at one time each year. These units are great on a smaller lawn like I have. Don't have enough room to pull a cart around.

Talntedmrgreen
I watched one here at auction this past spring, but it was with a 7012 that was a bit rough and non-running. Package went for over $400. Saw another, vac-only, that was listed in OH for $200 or so, for a long, long time. I think they'd be handy, since they are nice and compact, but where I'm at the larger capacity of a cart unit would be preferred.

ac.d17iv
Thanks for the info guys. The seller I found has this vac as a package with a snowblower and 712 Shuttle and won't split them up. For my size of lawn, the compact setup would work the best, so I'll keep searching.

MikeES
The top/bonnet separator is critical and so is the boot that attaches to the deck. The 42" deck boot is different than the 48" deck boot. I use clear plastic 55 gal bag so I can see when it is getting full. BTW they work great, but keep in mind a 42" deck with this bagger will push a 12hp hard. I use to run it on a 712H, but now run it on a 917H. Even a dense pile of wet leaves does not phase the 917.

John_RI
What was important to me was the vacuum portion of the set-up. I found a vacuum (blower unit, deck adapter and 2 hoses) for my my 2012, 725, etc tractor. I dump it into either a garbage can when there isn't much to collect, or for the fall leaves into my home built trailer that measures about 3' x 4' x 5'. It's a pain in the neck to empty, but a whole lot easier than raking!

MysTiK
- an alternative maybe - ?? I just mow mine. After one pass w deck chute blocked w cardboard/duct tape, particle size went from 100% (entire maple leaf) down to particle size of near 1" (approx 10%). Doing it a 2nd mow broke those particles by a similar ratio (1/4 - 1/2"). I have clay soil. I then aerate. The idea is to work organic matter into soil over time, w aerate and worm action, etc. plus natural breakdown. So now, I just ignore leaves, and mow the lawn once a week into late fall. What leaves?? gone. Cost increase = zero. Your lawn management situation may be very different to mine. But this works just fine for me. There is no evidence of any buildup or other problems. gone. no rake. I use a hand-held leaf blower to blow leaves ONTO the lawn for simple stripe mowing, as per usual summer routine. (that's only for leaves I can't get at with mower). My one-acre is 60% treed. (mixed forest - front yard is 70-foot maples).

Your situation is different; but I hear a lot of comments here about leaf removal being a pita. I agree with that completely. sm01 And having said this, there are situations where a vac IS the thing; but I don't like dealing with great piles of "stuff" either. A compost ops would be interesting w a vac. What works for me might not work for you. (and no offense intended).