Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 back tire locks

daveb

help the right back tire started to get tight and squeal while i was mowing tonight. It would stop the tractor when moving slow, if I was going faster it would make a snapping sound then free up. Could something be broken and binding up in the brake system? How hard and bad is the brakes to get to? Thanks Dave

could be 1 of the brake shoes broke lose or the pin holding the shoes on broke one thing I would do is pull that side off and look before it causes real damage

720 has 2 disc's, but still could be something binding inside the brakes. But, it's not likely as these brakes rarely give this type problem. I'd guess a bearing in the final drive has let go and worn things to the point where the shaft is binding against the bull gear in the final drive or a bearing has come apart and is binding. Could have been caused by low oil in the final or the ball seperator in a bearing has just failed due to old age or wear. Either way the fix is the same, pull the final off that side and turn it by hand and you should be able to find the problem.

Ok thanks for the responses,there is no up or down movement on the wheel but will check everything out I use this tractor way too much to have it down.

dropped the final drive last night and the top outer bearing is rusty and half the needles are gone. also the output shaft gets tight too.any info on these bearings would help or where to get them Thanks Dave

You should beable to get them at a Simplicity dealer or take them to a bearing house and they can get them. Not sure of the Simplicity part number but bearing mfg. no. would be on edge of the bearing race.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have mfg name and number for the bearing at the outside end of the top shaft, mine is coming out in peices and the are no longer available . number 3 in picture thanks Dave

• Like 1

I've never rebuilt a final drive as I have never lost any from damage and I have several parts machines. I can help you with a complete replacement if you would like. Clean it and bolt it on and your ready to go. PM me if your interested.

thanks Dave, I will keep that in mind I have the outer axel bearing, race and seal and case gasket.Hoping to match the bearing i need at a bearing warehouse since I can take measurements of bore and shaft. will keep updating. Thanks for theoffer will let you know. Dave

• 2 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by StanD
New Bearing 2173195 $25.50 Cup 2173194 $9.90 Seal 2175601 $25.65
But what are the industry numbers so I can buy them at the local bearing house? John U

• 1 month later...
quote:
Originally posted by daveb
L68111 BEARING. L68149 RACE, MH-16161 top outer bearing didn't see a number on the seal that matches. but got the seal from jacks
Well I tore my bad drop box down today. I see the same numbers on my bearings and races. NAPA # BR17 is the race and cone for $12.20 The outer seal has a number JC-193-2502-12 on it. I could not cross this number, but dimensionaly it is the same as Timken 48115 or NAPA 19220. The NAPA seal is $11.99. John U

• 7 years later...

It sure would be nice if this thread had reached a conclusion on the seal part number through Napa. No way am I paying $36 for a single 2175601SM seal for my 720. That's highway robbery!

I made a thread yesterday asking about online parts suppliers, and was told to call Sandy Lake, but I can't see them beating everyone else's price on this seal..

21 minutes ago, Bird76Mojo said:

It sure would be nice if this thread had reached a conclusion on the seal part number through Napa. No way am I paying $36 for a single 2175601SM seal for my 720. That's highway robbery!

I made a thread yesterday asking about online parts suppliers, and was told to call Sandy Lake, but I can't see them beating everyone else's price on this seal..

Didn't say they were the cheapest, just saying they are the best in the business.

John U

1 hour ago, midnightpumpkin said:

Didn't say they were the cheapest, just saying they are the best in the business.

John U

I know they are. I've been tied in with the online tractor community for over a decade, but it was over on Facebook more than any of the forums. I've seen dozens of posts about Sandy Lake over the years. I've since quit Facebook and deleted my profile, and returned to several of the forums.

I think I'll pop the seal and take it to Napa.

I appreciate the reply.

Did you miss this post? 4 posts up.

The outer seal has a number JC-193-2502-12 on it. I could not cross this number, but dimensionaly it is the same as Timken 48115 or NAPA 19220. The NAPA seal is $11.99. John U

2 hours ago, midnightpumpkin said:

Did you miss this post? 4 posts up.

The outer seal has a number JC-193-2502-12 on it. I could not cross this number, but dimensionaly it is the same as Timken 48115 or NAPA 19220. The NAPA seal is $11.99. John U

Sorry, I didn't see anything confirming that it fit like a factory seal. I thought it sounded like speculation, and I didn't read that you actually installed it. Good to hear that it'll fit.

Does anyone have a bearing part number for a generic bearing for part #11  ??? Might as well replace it while I'm in there..

The only specs I can find online for the factory bearing are "Simplicity 2168054SM BEARING BALL 1.181IDX"

Edited by Bird76Mojo

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:50 AM, Bird76Mojo said:

Anyone?

I have not been into the final drives on either of the Powermax tractors I own.  But If I did, I'd remove the bearings & seals & drop them off outside the door of my local Motion Industries & call inside & have the counter guy pick them up off the sidewalk, take them inside & cross them over.  Since I cant go inside anymore & lay them on the counter in person.  I agree with you regarding the brass jewels people have on FB & I don't use it either.  But the 616, 620, 720 FB Group is full of information.  You may not get it handed to you on a silver platter & you may have to search for it, but it is there.

• Like 2