Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Al

Posting Pics

Al
Hi, What am I doing wrong. I open the attach and browse etc and get the message image was posted to server. and the close window box. Window doesn't close and pic doesn't appear in the post. The pics are about 80K and I may be able to post 1 and want to put a description after it. Then go to put a second one and get this message. Can't close the window and get the pic. Am I screwing up??? Won't one post take about 400K or something? Al

D-17_Dave
Al, not sure what your doing wrong. We'd have to see the uploaded file code to see. The website is finicky so no spaces or symbols are allowed. You might try renaming the file to something like briggs1 or similar with a common name but one number variant with no space between.

Kent
Al, There's no size limit on any given topic or reply -- but each picture contained in it can only be 100kb or less. What browser and version are you using, and I'll try to figure it out. It's likely a browser setting or something.

HubbardRA
Because the site is running so slow nowadays(about 30 seconds to transmit any data), I have had to post only one picture then close the post. It will set that one up, then I can go back and do some editing and post one more picture. I then log out of the post again. Sometimes I can put two pictures in at one sitting, but most times I can only do one picture before closing the post. Just a quirk of the system as far as I can tell.

Al
Hi, I think Rod's description is like I am seeing. Am using Firefox, don't know what version. (it doesn't have a piston in it, so I don't know) I can load one or 2 pics and the rest won't load, though they say they were uploaded to the server. Al

Kent
Al, While I'm trying to figure out what's happening, you can use this link to see if the pictures are actually being uploaded. http://simpletractors.com/club2/file_viewer_attach.asp If they are, you can insert them in your topics using the [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/images/icon_editor_image.gif [/img] icon above, copying and pasting in the URL.

MysTiK
I don't usually have pix problems - but one thing I do, is I use PREVIEW mainly just to be sure I am posting what I want, and adding words in desired places, and spacing the entire post, etc. basicly WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) (pronounced "wizzeewig") When you see what you want, that's what you get too. . Preview seems to be a separate operation - it's just like you are viewing it for the first time, like anyone else. (this also prevents posting wrong pix you don't want to share - lol.) . . other - perhaps irrelevant trash - But I had other probs today, trying to load simpletractors catalogue stuff - and a little popup in the corner was announcing something like "loading apis. google." etc. and then some related junk also google, then paypal did it's thing - and I wasn't using any of this junk. Probably privacy trackers, don't like goog - it ain't what it was originally - they have become quite rude. :(! People are unknowingly supporting this abuse. . But this makes the site seem slow; it's not the site; it's something else AFAIK. note - I am on dialup, which is like slow motion, so I get to see a lot of stuff that highspeed just flashes through - that can be the dialup advantage, if you can imagine such a thing as dialup being an advantage. :D Hey, it works fine, just go for a coffee break. sm03

Al
Hi, Thought I might have an answer. I checked my pics. They were like 720 by 5 something, but about 75 k. Changed them to 640 x 480 and renamed them. Started a new post and uploaded the first fine, just like before. Wrote a caption and wanted to upload another. Same problem got message file uploaded to server, but nothing on the post. The close window showed and if I go to click on the "close window" item nothing happens. BUT in the lower left corner of the box a tine box appears with the message Javascript:onelick=add image () As soon as my cursor leaves the close window line, the little box disappears. I let the post set for a half hour to let it time out and came back and it won't upload the second pic, same problem. Al

Al
Hi, I think I found to problem. Took the earlier suggestion and put simple names on the pics and all worked well. My new camera dcim file is saves the files as 100_0513 I always add a abbreviated name like BrsDistMez01 and save it. I never noticed the underscore in the file. I am sorry for all of the problems I caused. Thanks for your help and patience with me. Al Eden

MysTiK
Either of those file names should be ok. Under_score " _ " is an accepted character - same as a letter or a number. Dash, or minus, " - ", should be ok also. Quotes are often NOT ok, but an apostrophe is ok. Those are the rules in WinDoze. Windoze also is unreliable for ordering pix, unless you use 3-digit numbers for naming. (starting at "001" ). But keep it real simple for postpix app here. Your error could be as simple as a comma instead of a period. The goofy server language is just the gears grinding to a halt cos you did something silly = oops. Server doesn't i.d. your mistake, if any. It just quits = fail. Start again, copy and paste failed attempt, if complex, or time intensive. Left hand corner stuff, is probably just the site's server reporting normal activities = in your case. I have noticed some pix I steal for my tractor pix collection - from 4sale ads pix sometimes - when I try to save those, sometimes there's a message comes onscreen about a script running, and an offer to stop the script is an option - but if I stop the script, the file will not complete the save operation - it stops the script and seems to cancel the save. But 2nd attempt at saving is seamless. np. You will see this eventually. However, in your case, I can't see scripts running on your private pix - so it is likely just this server following it's own proper programming. Most error messages re posting pix, are about parameters exceeded, such as too big size, or time limit exceeded, or bad filename. FAIL. The =post pix= operation only runs for max 15 mins, then times out = fail. Using PREVIEW, seems to reset everything nicely; kinda like REFRESH, it cleans the slate. The error messages are often instrux about how an admin could bypass the problem - a workaround. (admins only). Sometimes there can be a space or other character in a filename, and you just don't notice it - unless you give it a hard look. Most pics are jpeg files - and that filename can appear as "jpeg" or as "jpg". The jpg is the proper filename - I don't know if that matters here on this site. If UpLoading from your camera to your pooter, finish that ops before going into posting pix ops - same idea as PREVIEW, refresh, clean slate - whole new operation. If you are using camera software, that 'user friendly' software, can be proprietary, memory hog, poorly programmed, odd filenames, pita, etc. etc. Refresh. Close it out. Then, goto next ops. This simple extra step IS necessary with poor programming, and a lot of camera software is BAD - I don't use it. The "handy stuff" it offers is typically "just about useless" (see Windows Help for a "just about useless" experience). It's usually possible to hack around it; if you don't install it. If you do install it, run a registry cleaner to get rid of it, after uninstalling, even if doing a 'system restore'. I use basic 'windoze camera and scanner wizard...' built-in app in windoze. Windoze offers several default options. It will i.d. your camera first. (usb). (end of "everything I can imagine that might be helpful")