Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

More AC912 Questions

Found out that the 912 I am looking at is not a 6 speed gear but a hydro. Engine was re-built (short block) whatever that means! Has 400 hours on it. Dealer willing to take $1200 for it and snowblower. Is this a reasonable deal. Comments on the 912G were that $1200 was at the high end. Is the hydro worth more? Thanks.

Fred
Brett,
My first thought would be "jump on it". A "short block" is basically a new engine, consisting of cylinder block and all internal, moving, lubricated parts, as a factory assembly. It does not include the cylinder head, sheet metal, carb, exhaust, ignition, flywheel, or pan. It is customary in most good shops to overhaul the ignition and carburetor when short-blocking an engine. With only 400 hours on it, assuming proper maintenance since the work, it has a ton of life left. The 912H is indeed worth more than the G, and is probably even more suited to your needs. If I recall right, that should be a late enough model that it has the Sundstrand hydro, so the recent discussions here about parts availability for the Vickers do not apply.
You will find that it is an absolute treat to cut grass with a hydro, as it allows nearly effortless direction and speed changes. It also allows precise speed adjustment for blower work.
You should confirm the short block by looking for a second Kohler data decal, for the short block assembly, having been applied adjacent to the original.
Fred

Fred
Fred,
Thanks so much for all of the advice, hope I am not being a pain over this thing. I checked out the items listed by DLC. The dealer is a grandfather-father-son operation for 35 years so I asked "son" to show me the pto clutch, it didnt seem worn or loose, he stated that he had rebuilt the bevel gear box about 1.5 years ago. I showed him dlc's post on checking for 1/8-1/4" play in the box. The play seemed a little more than 1/4" but he stated that he had no problem with it as is. I also checked the trac axle for cracks and it didnt show any. He also said that he did the short block and installed an hour meter at the same time. Shows 455 hours now. Engine is clean, no leaks, starts right up, no rattles, no smoke, no nothing. The capper is that it was owned by the catholic church down the street who used it to mow their cemetary. It was bought at the dealership and serviced there over the years. I keep looking for reasons to NOT buy this old, ugly tractor but I am running out of them!!! Like I said, he begrudgingly said he would accept $1200 for it and snowblower. My wife is even agreeing to buy it. That was actually the easy part. "Hey, honey, if I buy the 912 and not the Deere for $2100 that means we save $900. Could you use $800 to spend on stuff for the new house?" Easy. Again, thanks! Any other last minute suggestions appreciated, going to buy tomorrow.

dlcentral
Brett, It sounds like a good deal to me, especially if the dealer[by your mail addr---are you in NY?]is going to give some kind of warranty on this piece.Looks to me like you are getting 2 good deals:1)--You're getting a piece of equipmentMUCH better than those"rainbow colored" tracs. 2) You're making the wife happy saving some bucks! And also you have us guys here to help you with any problems!! Good Luck with it! dlc

dlcentral
dlc: yes, NY, Albany specifcally. Dealer has 30 day guarantee on it and the snowblower. I appreciate your comments and as I stated, "son" showed me all the particulars you said cto check and I mowed with it for about 30 minutes or so. When you hit the pto it makes a kinda of screetch noise (don't you love technical tractor lingo?)and then the blades pick up speed. Son said this is normal, as a matter of fact, he pointed it out). I'm a little concerned about the manouverability on a 3/4 acre yard but it actually turned better than I thought it would. Thanks again.