Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB212

RJA

I am having no luck attaching a 46 inch sickle bar to my HB212 tractor. My side PTO has only one pulley ( not a double) which I run my mower deck off of with not problem. I have two problems with the sickle bar. 1) the right front tire hits into the bar if I turn the wheels to the right. 2) the belt does not even come close to being able to attach to the PTO. I have a 64.12 inch belt 1700059 which I believe is the correct belt but it seems to be about half the length that needed. The front tires may or may not be the correct size. However, I have no idea why the belt length is so far off. Are there different PTO configuration? Any help would be gratly appreciated. Bob

By "side pto" do you mean the left side of the gear box?? The sickle runs off a small pulley on the bottom pto attached to the mower deck pto pulley. The one under the tractor that the mower deck cross drive belt attaches to. It does not go all the way up to the gearbox. As for the tires hitting, Quite often if your tractor has the wide front tires, it will rub when turning extreme right.

Bob, Do you have the sickle bar mower attached in the rear two holes behind the axle? I have nearly a foot of clearance to my front tire. You may also need to change the drive pulley on the pto to a smaller one. Your mower will run too fast with the large pulley and shake itself apart. You probably have a mower designed for the short wheelbase tractors and may need to use a longer belt to fit your HB-212. Sorry to be so vague, but it's been a long time since I used my sickle bar on my B-112.

Never had the tire clearance issue on any of my tractors or sickles, (doesn't mean it can't happen). You definately need the double 2 step pulley. Running the sickle on the 3" pulley will destroy the the sickle without a question!

Okay Thanks. I can replace the pulley with a double pulley. However, this will not solve my belt issue. If I understand correctly Allis made different PTO attachments kits for the HB212. My deck runs directly off the bottom PTO using a 35 inch belt. Since the 65 inch belt recommended to me by Simplicity for attaching the sickle bar to the HB212 belt is about half the length needed I am assuming it is for a different PTO attachment. How is the best way to figure out the length of belt needed so the PTO engages and disengages correctly. Thanks Bob

I have no experience with a sickle mower, but I looked in the B series attachment parts manual (covers up through the B-112) and there are 3 belts listed for the 46" sickle bar: The belt you list is one of them. The others are a 5/8" belt, 64" long for a B-12 (A typo in the part number according to the A/C to Simplicity part number cross reference, it should be 105280). The other is a 1/2" belt, 63" long as the "general" part number. The 1/2", 64" belt is listed for the B-112 which I would think would be the same as that needed for the HB-212.

The best way to measure the belt length needed would be to take a 1/2" dia rope and "install it" as you would the belt. Then measure the rope length making sure you're in the middle of the "adjustment" range of the tensioner set up. Some pics of your setup would be a big help. Non members can now attach pics to their posts. Use the "paper clip" icon and be sure the file name has no spaces and the file is less than 100KB.

If I'm not mistaken, the "other" pto arrangement you refer to is the "double v" belt system. It is only a matter of belt and pulleys that are different from one system to the other. The location doesn't change and doesn't change the belt lengths. Without seeing what you have, I would have to guess you are hooking something up wrong in order for the correct belt to be that much too short. Are you mounting the sickle in the same holes on the axle as where your deck mounts? (correct) Are you releasing the spring tensioner on the left side of the rear axle to install the belt? Third, the correct pulley is very small, I don't remember the diameter, but it's about half of the diameter if the mower drive pulley. Also, if someone has used the wrong length belt on your pto, from the bgb down to the pto, that will change the distance the pto can swing forward with the spring released. You might try mounting the sickle belt with the pto belt removed once you have the correct pulley. Then you can either adjust the pto lever or change belts to get it right. Jim and Reed: The tire rub issue I referred to is on a hard right turn, the right front tire will rub on the sickle carrier frame. Usually when everything is very worn. IE; axle pivot and pivot bolt and mounting pin holes. You know those tractors that when you turn the steering wheel while the tractor is sitting still and the mower deck moves sideways a bit :O

Ahh I see now said the blind man, yes when things are worn nothing behaves like it should! Very familiar with the worn axle bolt issue, I have seen a few of these myself! I'm not sure if I was clear about the lower pto pulley in my previous post but it should have one large and one small pulley on the drive side and the sickle drives from the smaller of the pulleys. I have 2 belts for my sickle one for the short frame and one for the longer frame tractors not sure which one is on it now so I can't help much with belt #'s. Photos of what you have, Bob, would help for sure!

I'm not sure if this has any relevance at all but I recall that the running board tractors use a completely different sickle mower. Is it possible that your sickle mower is for a later version tractor? Dan

Thanks for the responses. I am attaching the sickle bar to the front mounting brackets the same way I am attaching the mower deck . The 65 inch belt appears to be about half the length that would be required to attach to any size pulley on the bottom PTO. I need a belt at least 90 inches which does not make any sense according to the manual. Obviously, I need to post a picture of what I am describing. In the meantime I am trying to, but can't find the model number on the sickle bar to make sure it is the correct attachment for the HB212. Any suggestion on how I can find or determine the model number.

To my knowledge there are only 3 basic sickles. 2 are the ones shown above in Bills post. With cable lift and without. The main differences are the belt guard, #3 in the top pic, and the hanger bracket by number 6 in the top pic. There are other minor differences in framing, but not enough for them to use a different picture. The third has a planetary drive and looks a lot different. You could look up model 1690030 to see that one. Even that one only uses about a 65 or 66 inch belt too on its proper tractors So it looks like only about 5 model numbers to choose from so far. 4 in the pic above and the one I just gave you. I think pics are gonna help a lot.

I am running the 46" sickle mower with cable lift from a B10 on my HB212. I am using a B71 belt on the smallest drive pulley (my other pulley is the double V). The original belt for the B10 was too short.