Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Advice on a purchase

Velocemag

I have found a Simplicity 3416 with a snowthower, front blade, 48inch deck, tiller, plow, bush hog and many extra parts and belts. He is asking around $2000 and all the stuff looks like it's in pretty good shape (from photos). What should I look for? Is this a decent price? I new to Simplicity but I grew up with and A/C 410.

That's a bit on the steep side, maybe more like a $1000 at an auction. I would check everything out by personally looking at it. Don't be to eager.

Thanks for the advice. The deck really looks good in the photos but I guess I'll take a ride this weekend to have a look at it.

I stumbled on the CL listing you mentioned, and it does look like a real nice machine. I would agree though, the price sounds very high. Here's what I noticed... It's a Shuttle...some prefer the hydro's. It does have optional headlight pods and electric lift. All those attachments were originally for the earlier machines, though they should work with the 3416. The Weedcutter hitch has been modified to fit the tractor (it did not originally). You need to hope/ask to see if the blower and dozer hitches will fit the machine as well, since those are not shown real well. He has an extra modified pulley/hitch setup laying there, so maybe that is for the blower? The dozer is a very basic 42"...the blower is an early 36" model...the tiller is an early 32" model. Everything looks well taken care of. The PTO covers that are there are not needed for that tractor and could net ya another $100/pair. I don't see the tiller PTO components needed to use the tiller. The ad says he's open to offers.... ;)

I have no info other than this thread. If all you want is a mower and blower, you could find yourself selling attachments to recover costs. Look for play in any moving parts. That the attachments aren't specific to the tractor tends to reduce the value of the package. That doesn't mean they won't work. It usually means hitches are modified - and those can be replaced with originals. But any "work required" reduces value if you are reselling. If the attachment itself is modified as well as hitch mod'd, that's a different story, harder to undo. It's pretty tempting being able to buy all the attachments in one go. If they are /rebuilt /new bearings /no play /ready to work, then the price could almost be justifiable. Best scenario more like maybe 1400 tops for excellent condition. Tractor itself - inspect bgb for any play - inspect axle tubes for any cracks. Does engine smoke? 3416's are circa 1974. Belt condition. Pulley condition. PTO engagement action. Basically you are looking for trouble before you eventually find it after buying it. Sounds negative, but it's money up front. There's lots of help here to fix things if needed. Manuals too. I would tend to look at lower price simply because the attachments are not specific to the tractor and they are getting old. If they have been maintained - well, that's what you are looking for. And there's a lot to look at on this deal. There's lot of deals that sound good; there's lots of people fishing; there are some obvious good deals; and there are no guarantees. If you know the Allis you grew up on, this is not much different, and your past experience can help you. You need to know that these attachments were actually run on this tractor - as opposed to the tractor being a last minute stand-in. It won't sell at 2K. At 1000 you have wiggle room. Above that, you need convincing. Tactics include walking away and giving your head a shake. I would say this is a difficult deal. Guess the tractor at 4 and start adding up from there with attachs guessed at 1 or 2. Keep the math simple. The total is too high for a first offer. He might walk away. sm01 It can take days to come to an agreement. Leave the money in the truck. A safe approach would be that this is interesting and a good experience. Looking is free.

Thanks for the advice. At this time I think I'll pass on the package. It all looks really nice for the age but most of it I don't need. I have possible found a Duetz-Allis 1920. I think I'd rather have it.

That's a Sunstar tractor = in Deutz-Allis it's aka "ULTIMA", and the 20hp is the way to go. find out how that works.... it's about what you get WITH the 20hp models - and they aren't all the same either; some features are optional, several are standard. But the 20 brings some desirable features with it. Sunstar was the predecessor of the Legacy tractor. They still share some attachments. They are big; could almost be called compacts. You might enjoy this thread. It includes some original info on the ULTIMA tractor. Also lots of other info. This will give you some idea of what you are getting into. Also you can search out other threads. And manuals. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121347