Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PatterBrian

Seat repair

PatterBrian
As long as I'm fixing up the old Powermax, I guess I should take care of the seat. Are there any kind of universal seats available new, and how would they customize to an older tractor? Does anybody have a ballpark figure hat it might cost me to have a lowback seat reupholstered?

timflury
I have to pick up two seats here before the end of next week. I will post pics and prices from the job. I took them to a friend that has an upholstery business. Stay tuned.

PhanDad
As to new seats, if you type "allis garden seat" into the eBay search box you'll come up with several possibilites. This one appears to have adjustable mounting hardware to fit most requirements: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIS-CHALMERS-GARDEN-TRACTOR-SEAT-/130595820903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e681e1567

MysTiK
Thanks for that link, Bill. Maybe I need to dig deeper to find Canadian sources. This company is based in Canada; news to me. It seems they warehouse in both Canada and USA. I will need to contact for details. I have said it before - you Americans seems to have infinite resources re support for these tractors (etc). It seems opposite here in Canada. And one of the major differences I notice is that people in the U.S. are often 'shipping' everything. Maybe I'm living in darkness here; but that particular economy just doesn't seem like it's really happening - which I find amazing - in the age of information and technology. I am either missing something severely; or it's about relative costs. Pricing is an issue for many Canadians; and that's the main driver for 'cross border' shopping. But adding shipping costs to already higher prices? - how's that supposed to work? What am I missing? Also, finding a good Canadian tractor forum has proven impossible, esp. for these tractors. There's an idea - a forum for Canadian Senior Moments - omg. :D Anyway, thanx for that. One impressive thing is that this Canadian company seems to be dealing mainly in the U.S. (at first glance). Kudos to them for working out the logistics on all that stuff. And that reinforces what I said here. The U.S. is actually using the power of the internet. There must be more to this picture; or there should be. It is not glaringly obvious, whatever is happening. yet. for me. sorry if I detour this topic. I'm interested in tractor seats. So far, I like the comfort of the original seat on my 716 - the upholstery is in reasonable shape; but I have 'somewhat preserved' it by applying black duct tape. It looks good from 20 feet, for now. The one illustrated might be a good solution for the long term. thanx again. sm01

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
As to new seats, if you type "allis garden seat" into the eBay search box you'll come up with several possibilites. This one appears to have adjustable mounting hardware to fit most requirements: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIS-CHALMERS-GARDEN-TRACTOR-SEAT-/130595820903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e681e1567
That looks like a very nice seat for the money. I used this seat from Rural King on the 17GTH-L I recently restored. [url]http://www.ruralking.com/iowa-export-import-hi-back-universal-lawn-mower-seat-115-11500bk.html[/url] I like it a lot, I believe it will also fit nicely on a Powermax. I have also used the low back version at Rural King, but I prefer the hi-back version. Here is the 17GTH-L with the seat on it.