Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trailing mowers

jasper

I have seen a picture here somewhere of two 42 inch mower decks being pulled behind a tractor with its own mower deck. In the adds they are called trailing mowers. Each deck has its own engine. I am looking for a good close up picture or drawing of the units and a manufacturing number if anyone can help. I saw someone here owned one and took it to the tractor show in wellington or Findlay Ohio. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Bob

DarrylF also has or had a pair of them. He brought them to GOTO in 04. If he pokes his head in he may be able to shed some light also.

Just like the show picture the PO of my '68 Landlord, sold the 2110, when he bought a 12HP Jacobson to tow the twin 42" decks. His had matching 8 HP engines. The height is set before leaving the barn. The J machine was a hydrostatic drive to pacify his "hired help". I tried but he would not part with the "trailers" (at any price). Now that I live in the forest, I'm glad I didn't get them. Just getting the weed cutter, and the 36" snow thrower for $150 was enough for me to give up negotiating! Cheers, Wayne

The ones in the picture are 48 inch decks but the trailing mowers could also use 42 inch decks. The hitch bar on the tractor could be adjusted for multiple combinations of deck sizes including just a single side. They would be simple to fabricate, I saved a couple mule drives from the 300 series Allis Chalmers but fortunately I found an original pair a few years ago. Dan

Well I appreciate all the info. It is the right unit just not what I remembered......maybe oldtimers setting in! I am going to fabricate something similar using 42 or 48 decks. I intend to use the front end of a 34xx or 70xx tractor to make it. I will keep you posted as I progress. jfrank1962 that is too much! Lol. Thanks again for all you guys do! Bob

quote:
Originally posted by huffy
quote:
Originally posted by Willy
Nice set up but you would have a tough time mowing stripes.
Nah, they'd just be really wide stripes.
Would need a perimeter clean-up pass, or 2. Imagine acres of diagonals - double diamonds. dOd or baseball patterns.

Pulling one works pretty good although it does tend to side draft a little....

Still need to work on the color thing though......B):D:D:o)

quote:
Originally posted by MDB
Does your grass care what the color of the mower is when you cut it?

Bob, Of course the grass cares what color the mower is. This is a Simplicity website, the grass needs to be cut with a Simplicity tractor. Trust me the grass knows and cares what color the mower is. Rick.........

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
Originally posted by MDB
Does your grass care what the color of the mower is when you cut it?
The grass might or might not care but I have my pride to consider........:O:D:o)