Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sierradriver

Just got a 6216 today and was wondering what are the good and bad of these tractors. Haven't heard run PO said it hasn't run in a couple of years. No deck but pretty straight body. Thanks

I have two of them and some others on here use them regularly. I have no complaints. One is my snow blowing tractor and the other at the moment is a spare. Hope to get the spare working as a mower but I need to replace the pin (can't think of the correct name right now) in the motor shaft that keeps the pulley from spinning on the shaft. I really like the sound of the engines on these. Whole lot better than my big noisy mower. larry

I'm sort of like Larry, only I have 5 6216s. No complaints here either. It will take a while to get the bugs out of one that has sat for a while but once you get it going it should do well for you. I use #1 for plowing the garden then tilling and in winter I use it for snow blowing. I use #2 for mowing with a trac vac. I use #3 for mowing without the trac vac. I use #4 to pull the yard cart and I have a snow blade on it also. #5 is a Garage Queen, it looks like it should still be in the show room. Mel

I have an Allis 810GT, same as the 6010 Simplicity, which is the older version of the 6216's. Mine is less h.p. and a three speed geared rearend, otherwise pretty much the same. I love mine, it blows my snow each winter, tills, mows, has a push blade, and now has a 10 inch plow that I will use for the first time this fall. I like mine alot. If it has a weakness, it might be the front axle being lighter than some others, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I also now have a 12 hp briggs in it for a bit more hp. Steve

If the unit has been sitting you might need to go through the vari-drive system. They have a tendency to get froze up and should be cleaned and lubricated periodically. The dash must be removed to do this.

I also have a 6216, which is the winter rig. For the two years has worked great. Use my 5212.5 for the summer grass and like that I can swap decks or blower if need be. Have been looking at the front wheels of the 5212.5 looking to add roller bearing to help steer a bit better. But 25+ years has not let me down.