Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ahhh speed.

B110guy

Feels good to go fast again after a spring and summer running with the 10" pulley on my B110. Put the standard one back on for the summer and fall. Has anyone ever went with a smaller diameter pulley for more speed? My kids love being pulled on their sleds, but 6 mph is pretty slow. B110guy

On my pulling tractors we run as small as a 4.5" driven pulley with a 5.5" drive pulley. I don't remember the exact numbers but with the 26" tires that relates to over 8 mph in 2nd gear.

I have changed the transmission pulley to a much smaller one. I cant remember the size bit it might be 4". I did not leave it that way for long. I increased the speed a few MPH, but the faster speed made the tractor feel unsafe on any hilly ground. Remember these old tractor have one of the highest center of gravity than any tractor made. Plus the back tires have one of the narrowest wheel width (compared to todays). I want to say I may have been traveling 10 to 12 mph in 3rd gear. It did fine on the open road. But just leaving the road in a small ditch with little or no incline the tractor would tilt just a little bit and I said WOW. It would be to easy have a spill, I took it off and put something closer to the original size pulley. Old tractors are fun, but having some kind of permanent injury would take all the fun out for a long time.. Just my opinion. My advice is experiment with different sizes may be one inch or one and a half smaller on just the transmission might be safe.

I tried the 10" pulley on my b10 with loader and could not get the pulley to stop spinning when the clutch was pushed in. Ended up going back to the 8" pulley.