Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1 bad looking Simplicity

bud119195

Went to the local tractor pull and seen This Simplicity.I talked to the guy about it and he told Me it started out as a 18 hp kohler and now has 101 hp. And he is the only one there that has a belt drive tranny.And oh yeah his wife pulled it and was 2" short of a full pulle of 250' everyone else coldnt reach 240.

Nice looking tractor! Where did you go, Todd? And how in the world does anyone get 101 hp out of that engine? Steve

Yes it was at Burnett just late getting pictures. Also he told me it was the simplicity 3 speed rear end with a dana gear box attatched to it(whatever that means I doont know) And I wish I knew how to get that kind of horspower from a small engine.

In all reality, making the horsepower is the easy part. Getting it to stay together while it makes that HP is where the magic lays IMO. 20 years ago we were making 600 HP with a 300 CI Ford straight six. 2 hp per CI. That was pretty much top of the line for the local dirt tracks at the time. (Local meaning Cherokee which at that time was billed as the worlds fastest half mile dirt track) Now you can walk into about any Yamaha dealership and buy a YZF R1 998 cc or 61 Cubic inches that makes 186 factory claimed HP or 3 hp per cube http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZF-R1

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
Yes it was at Burnett just late getting pictures. Also he told me it was the simplicity 3 speed rear end with a dana gear box attatched to it(whatever that means I doont know) And I wish I knew how to get that kind of horspower from a small engine.
Hey, Bud, This link will get you started, at least. warning - tons of info to read. but lots of useful info - for typical or pulling. also some details on things you never imagined before. just bookmark it, it's too huge. enjoy. EDIT - oops, forgot the most important part - B) http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm

there i a guy that goe to a pull i do he has a simplicity 101 with 2 motors on it he has 2 like this he is selling it for 1500 because he is going blind and cant pull anymore

Getting 101hp out of a V-Twin command is common on alcohol. There are pullers getting 70hp out of a K341 (16hp flathead). A friend has put a Dana 30 (differential) inside the housing of the simplicity 3-sp, it fits nicely inside. The BGB and 5/8" of 3/4" belt will handle the hp, but the trick is the belt clutch, with that hp you need the clutch/belt to slip a little bit and not lock in too quick. If you slip it too much you smoke the belt. The weakness in the simplicity transaxle is the tube axle and differential...in perfect condition, good for about 40hp if you are gentle.

You can get a complete Kohler v-twin engine ready to go from Midwest Super Cub. www.midwestsupercub.net They have V-twin packages starting at $3500 (plus a good core) will get you 50hp, and up to $6,000 you can get a complete 54 cubic inch Kohler V-Twin on alky rated above 100hp.

quote:
Now that Mike commented it was a Dana 30 differential that he tolde he installed
I would love to know how this accomplished, what axles are used etc, as WE all know where the weakest link is in the trans axle. I currently have my 2110 set up to do some very mild pulling, mostly what we do doesn't require a lot of hp, just lots of torque and traction, the 2 things that I know will blow up an axle tube and diff quicker than spit! Last year I pulled 2200lbs on dirt with the current set up, moved 2400, but was concerned about the stock set-up!

that is a sweet pullin tractor dOd. wonder how he gets by with any belt slipping. that was the only complain i herd on the older simplicity, but that was from a couple guys pulling in the 1980's. technology has come far from then

Reed, these are from several years ago. I did it partly because the "cliche" in the pulling club said I couldn't :O Add 3 muffler clamps to your axle tube and a second spring to your clutch and don't worry about it, have FUN 3 kids ran 3 tractors for a full season, and I only had to replace 1 axle tube. Before I added the muffler clamps. The orange tractor is a 10 hp that rattled all season, the other 2 are 12hp. All Briggs, all stock. The tractors weighed in at 1050 pounds and the sled weighs 6500 pounds Perry, Check the rear tires on the green tractor. Does it look like with the added spring on the clutch we had any belt slippage ?? ;);) All the tractors had new green Gates belts, and the green tractor ran stock pulleys. The green tractor got as high as 2nd place, the blue one got a 3rd, and the orange with a junk 10hp got as high as 6th place and all were running against 60 and 70 horse Kohlers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts