Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3212 H

sierradriver

Another one for you guys. I have a buddy that has a 3212 H that keeps eating deck to engine belts. It has a double pulley on the deck and he got a kit that turns it into a single pulley. My question is he has one pulley that is missing and I was wondering if they are special pulleys or can he buy them at fleet farm. The problem I have is that I don't know which one. Good thing is that I probably got a guy that is interested in joining the club. The owner of this machine. Thanks

The double pulley on the deck should match up to a double pulley on the PTO. The belts are pricey, and some guys switch over to the single pulley style as you describe, but I've found that double-V belt to be indestructible, so far. Tough to decipher which pulley he's missing. Any chance for a pic?

33 years ago when I bought my HB212 it did not come with the PTO to deck double V belt. I thought that the cost of the simplicity double V was to high so I put a pair of 3L450 belts and then switched to 13x45 automotive fan belts, and finally to 15450 Dayco Top Gog belts. The Top Gogs lastest the longest almost 2 seasons. But after 5 years I wised up and spent the $ for the correct simplicity double V belt and it is still good, though I have not used the HB212 for mowing the past 8 years.

I had problems with the pulley on the deck and the belt. Got a new pulley and a belt to match (from a local machine tool supplier) and haven't needed to change it for the past eight years. Had other issues recently though, with the belt from the Bevel Gear Box to the PTO (which drives the deck) wearing out every 20 minutes because of slop in the driven shaft of the BGB. The worn belts were a sign that something else was wrong. When things are set up properly, the belts should last a long time.

I wasn't quite sure what he was talking about but I know he was saying that it was eating belts and he had a friend talk him into switching over to a single. Thanks for your input I was just trying to see if and of you knew of the kit to switch it over.