Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

valve hits spark plug

jrmorrill

I've got a Briggs 243431 on my Landlord 2010. It's run great for years but over the last 6 months or so I've had to regap the plug because it's making contact with the valve and there-by closing the gap I carefully set to .030". To band-aid the issue I've added a second washer to the plug so it sits slightly higher and makes less contact or perhaps no contact with the valve. But ... Is this an issue with wear to the valve? or to the valve spring? or ???? Thanks! Jason 2010 Landlord 3210vd Landlord (diesel powered)

Jason, I agree with Reed, the standard Champion J-8 or CJ-8 plug is 3/8" reach. You likey have the wrong plug in it, like a 1/2" reach even longer one in it. Tom(PK)

Thanks folks. I was surprised about the plug issue. I've always run the Champion D21 in the engine, as I recall. It's a 1/2" reach plug with 18mm thread size. The new plug is a D16 with the same physical dimensions. It's what I can get from the local repair shop. Trouble with the C8J or CJ8 or whatever is that it's a 14mm plug, not 18mm. Now, I do have another 243431 engine with a head that takes the 14mm plugs. Perhaps I'll swap heads someday. In the meantime I'll just keep the D16 and keep it a bit higher using washers. Jason

Sounds like someone drilled and tapped the spark plug hole to 18mm (orginally was probably stripped)instead of doing the right thing by Heli-Coiling it (or replacing the head). Tom D.