Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Look what followed me home!

mtoney

Time for a look what followed me home. Thanks to a nice gentleman, who I consider a new friend from here on the site. I now have a B1 for a keen price. No options but good tires, have to find out if she runs or not. It doesnt have the original engine, has an 8hp Briggs instead of the 7hp, so the hood has been modified a bit, but between him and I, we think it can be fixed easily. with a different starter gen bracket to swing it out a bit further, then fix the hood with a welder. I will be on the hunt for some stuff, namely one of the 32" mower decks and a good mesh grill w/emblem. My Siberian Husky Trooper is checking it over! Cheers Mike [IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/cadetpwr/AllisB1pics002.jpg[/IMG]

You could have a ten horse engine. I'll bet you have model 243XXX stamped on the blower housing facing out about the same level as the crankshaft centerline.

This should be the deck. The hitch spacing is correct. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yellow-lawn-tractor-mower-deck-Allis-Chalmers-/330781374414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d041b37ce

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
Ray, that's a B1 not a B10, should have a model 19 7hp B&S engine.
I know it is a B1 and not a B 10. I posted a link to a 32" deck that he was inquiring about.

You can get a new grille screen from Norm Steinman. http://www.normstoys.com/index.htm Norm Steinman 212 So. Main St. Bourbon, IN 46504 (219)342-4545 Norm has decals for B-1, B10 [both Bee logo & B-10 hood decal], Big Ten, B-110, B-112, HB-112, B-210, B-212, HB-212, He also has 720 and 620 hood decals, plus WheelHorse and AC "big" tractor parts and decals. Also available are B-1 grille screens.

That was BLT that mistook it for a B10, correct it should have a 7hp. If I had access to one, I would swap the correct engine back into it. But not working, I am on a super tight budget, making payments on the B1 till its paid off. I love the Bee logo version of the B10 and B12, that is the next one on my list of wants once I am done with the B1. To bad the B1 didnt get the bumble bee treatment! He has both of the bumblebee tractors fully restored, his B112 pulled the B1 to my truck. I hope to try and start waking up the engine tomorrow, see if I can get her started. He has never tried to fire it up since he got it. For now its sleeping under my pool deck out of harms way. Once I sell the WH thats in the shed, the B1 will move there. Gotta love those K9 attachments!

Kewl, right now the priority is to get the big 314 and the WH sold, then restore and outfit the B1. Then I will start looking for a 110 or 112 bumble bee to restore.

Cut and notch the generator bracket and drop it like I had to on my 725 when the motor was a little higher.That way if you got a good motor you can keep it and keep the expences down.

Very nice original! I would check to see if it has too short of a S/G belt before cutting anything up. A longer belt will rock it out and clear of the hood.

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
Cut and notch the generator bracket and drop it like I had to on my 725 when the motor was a little higher.That way if you got a good motor you can keep it and keep the expences down.
[img]/club2/attach/bud119195/generator bracket 001a.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/bud119195/generator bracket 002a.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/bud119195/generator bracket 003a.JPG[/img]

Nice camera work there, bud. Looks good in fullscreen, esp. when I figured out which way was which. Pix are worth many words.

I got her to try and fire today, has excellent spark, carb doesnt look bad inside, was dry but not getting gas thru it, so into the soaker can till tomorrow morning. She will fire if I spray gas down the intake of the carb so once I go thru the carb, she should run excellent. Engine is a 9hp model after cleaning the dust off the shroud. The starter generator has plenty of slot left to be swung out further to clear the hood, just need a longer belt. I hope to find a correct muffler over at Portland. If not she will probably get an AC1 stack muffler and rain cap like the 314 has. I hope to have the B running to use as a butt buggie over at Portland. I dont have the means to notch the mounting bracket like shown above. Welding isnt something I have learned how to do, soon however. Thanks Mike

She is running but smokey! Looks like a rering is in order, runs good otherwise, has excellent compression. I am betting the oil control ring is either worn or stuck from sitting. We dont know how long she has sat unused, it did have an autozone battery, so it hasnt sat a super long time. The plug does show signs of oil burning however. Are the head gasgets in these older Briggs reusable like the older Kohlers?? The older K series used a reusable headgasget unless it was burnt or damaged. Cant get those anymore. Mike

36" belt is what you should need for the Briggs, but since it's a B-1 with a model 19, that spec might go out the window, in order to clear the hood (but it sounds like someone installed too short of a belt, if you have a lot of adjustment left). They used reusable gaskets, and they can be found pretty easily. I beleive the correct part is #27752.

I need suggestions for the updraft carb, it has new main jet and idle jet needles, its clean as a whistle internaly, but it is flooding itself and it drips gas out of the bottom of the intake passage when it trys to run. Float is set properly and the needle is also new. Only way it will clear out is if I pinch off the gas, and it will only clear the flood for 10 seconds or so before it stalls as it runs the bowl out of gas. So I dont think its overfilling the bowl, acts like its overfueling itself. I am an ace with carter carbs on Kohlers, but havent messed with the old Briggs updrafts much. What am I missing?? Feel free to call me if necessary, 7654801028. Mike

I tried polishing the seat on the emulsion tube, as that is where the leak appears to be, the seat on the tube side is good. Still leaks enough that it floods itself to where it will try to run with both jets closed off, but even then its still flooding and dripping out the port on the bottom. I guess the options are replacing the carb, I see NOS ones on fleabay for 110-150 plus overhaul on the 23A thats in it, finding a correct 19D thats been rebuilt or one of small engine warehouses Briggs repower kits to drop a fresh engine in. Suggestions?

Have you tried the old needle and jet? I've found that sometimes they just seat better than new. Seems about 50% of the time, I end up with the old needle, jet, or both when rebuilding a carb. I'm not a fan of some of the carb kits I've received. Also, I mispoke above, in reference ot the head gasket. After re-reading, it sounds like you have a 23D, not a model 19, so my part # may not apply and I dont have the 23D info handy at the moment.

Yes if you read my earlier post, I stated it has a 9hp shroud on it and a 23A model number on the data plate. Muggsie gave me another carb to try, it worked, but I have to pull the throttle shaft as its backwards from the original carb, so now the gov doesnt work right. Once I swap that over, she should run good other than burning oil like its going out of style. No knocking ect, so I suspect my plan of a good hone and rings is all she needs, other than a paint job, some rear axle seals (anybody have the part number for those?) She drives good as well. Slowly but surely she is coming back to life. Atleast the price they quoted me on rings was cheap, cheaper than Kohler! Mike