Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Project need some help - Update

joelk

"Update" 1st the good news. I had a buddy of mine come over and give it a once over. The oil leak is at the top of the closure plate. He suggested to try some silicone sealant from the outside as there really isn't any pressure there (nothing to loose) instead of taking it off. Well it worked!! Just slathered some silicone based RTV along top of the plate and presto-chango - no more oil leak. 2nd the hmmm news. I had found out the engine had been short blocked at some point via the engine tag and help from Kohler (very helpful support by the way). My buddy noticed that one of the heads was different from the other, which he was a little disturbed with. Anyway we put new plugs in it and am going to run it awhile, then check the plugs (plugs never lie he says). So we'll see where that take me. Question???? (and bad news). When shifting to the low gear range, the tractor doesn't move but you hear a load being put on the engine and a whine from the hydro. There was a very slight movement forward at wide open throttle, but that's it. Any ideas how that could happen. Works fine in high speed. Any thoughts here would be appreciated. "original post" I picked this up the other day and to start with need help identifying as tags are gone. Has 20 HP Kohler Magnum. Paint scheme is odd. The black panels by the dash used to be orange, so I assume it had the decal that says 20HP... which makes the main Simplicity decal wrong as well (not to mention the crazy orange color). I downloaded a manual using #1691018 and it lists engine as Kohler Magnum. Are there any other identifying tags to get me a good number? Motor tags show that it had been "short blocked" in 1996 so those numbers don't get me back to the tractor. Any other items that look out of place, feel free to comment. Engine has oil leak, but I'm saving that for another topic. Paid $600 for it, runs well with oil leak so jury is out as to a good deal or not. Time will tell.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121347&SearchTerms=years,sunstars you might find some info here. sm01 If it cleans up ok, and runs well, and if it really has the features of a 20hp Magnum, then 600 is pretty good deal. In good shape they can sell for lots more than that. The link above is called 'Years of Sunstars' and was largely about trying to i.d. Sunstars. bunch of other info also.

Thanks for the link MysTiK. Given those pictures, it seems to me this one was originally painted like this? Also the 48" deck that came with it used to be orange but was painted black.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
It is a 20hp...it has power steering, I can see the diff lock, and 2 speed transaxle lever...all 20hp features.
And dual brake pedals are clearly visible also. So it's definitely supposed to be a 20hp. The paint color looks like Agco-Allis Orange on the Agco-Allis 1920H.
[img]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy125/11Gray11/MysTiKpiX/AGCOALLIS1920-1.jpg[/img]
And Agco Orange would have been an easy paint source for someone who really didn't care much about appearance. But the under-the-hood paint is a lot more reddish, or orange-red - which is an amazing mismatch; but that might be the color of the original SStars made late86-1987-1991. And further supports the idea that the painter was an amateur.
[img]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy125/11Gray11/MysTiKpiX/SunstarID1986-1991-Magnum.jpg[/img]
The side panels beside the dash, which are now BLACK, were probably originally Simp orange-red also (joelk said that "orange" paint is visible beneath the black). This again supports the idea this is an early 20hp SStar. The seat also matches the above picture. The wheels are messy but they are not silver-gray like the late SStar. But the DECALS on the hood are from the 1996-97 late SStar - and again were perhaps just the easiest decals to locate to slap on, and at least they say Simplicity, which would be consistent with the general disregard of everything else cosmetically. B) The deck is black, which is a mismatch, except the only black-decked SStar, was the Massey Ferguson 2920H. More likely it's a repaint also.
[img]http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy125/11Gray11/MysTiKpiX/Massey2920H.jpg[/img]
The deck should be shaftdrive, if it's a SStar deck, and would be either a 48 or a 60. My conclusion - it's an early 1987-1991 20hp Magnum SunStar with lots of nice features - and it's been cosmetically hacked. If everything is working well, it just needs a paint job. I think it's a good deal if the mechanicals are ok. sm03 dOd (other) The "Years of Sunstars" thread is just a casual reference, and is still open to any and all contributions. More info is all good. Especially needed are some more and better pix to further assist in identification. Any info, or experience you have, is potentially useful for future reference. The thread was created in response to repeated questions about the mystery of Sunstar. Some cloudy areas that remain are the elusive facts on the apparently changing availability of "diff lock", pix of MF2920H are very rare, MFR #'S, info on stock tires and optional tires that were offered, any info on 3PH, info on the unusual dual-brake system, info on the high-tek front axle/steering, general repair or maintenance info. etc etc etc - whatever you have that might be helpful. thx.sm01

quote:
Originally posted by joelk
Thanks for the link MysTiK. Given those pictures, it seems to me this one was originally painted like this? Also the 48" deck that came with it used to be orange but was painted black.
[img]/club2/attach/joelk/SunstarID1986-1991-Magnum.jpg[/img]

Thanks, joel - that's what I thought too. If you paint it with just a little more respect than the last hakker, it should be a really nice tractor. You could choose any of the colors, decals, etc. whichever you like, or go custom. I'm just amazed how the guy left the undersides a different color. I wondered if under the running boards and fenders and seat were still original orange-red. B) So fix the leaky seal and have fun. :D The good news is you have a real one, with lots of those available features. dOd Let us know how it goes.

On the running boards I don't see any signs of the red-orange paint showing through the numerous scratches, just some off white that I assume to be primer. Also the under side of the running boards are black, not sure if all Sunstars are that way. The wheels have what I would say is the original white under their somewhere (below layers of paint some black some gray).

• 1 month later...