Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

710 Voltage regulator help

TedAC710

I just acquired a AC 710 last week. It had been sitting for years but it runs and operates great now. My only problem is that my voltage regulator charges at 10 to 12 amps all the time, and I know this is going to over charge my battery. I want to get another voltage regulator, but I am not sure where to look. The regulator is a solid state unit. Any help is great. Thanks

Welcome to the club! Does it look like the one pictured below? The one in the picture is for a 15 amp charging system and is Kohler part number 41-403-06S. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOHLER-Voltage-Regulator-41-403-06-S-NEW-OEM-/251118556275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a77d51473

More below. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kohler+41-403-06S&_sacat=159912&_odkw=simplicity&_osacat=159912

As stated above, if the voltage on the system is correct you have no problem. An amp meter shows the flow of voltage, not where it might be going to. You may only be seeing the flow of electricity that it takes to run the engine's ignition.

My battery is a used one out of another tractor and it worked fine in the other tractor, but when checked the voltage with the tractor off, and no draw on the battery it read 12.6 volts, when the tractor is running it shows 13.46 to 13.6 volts, which seems normal if the battery was low, but it does not seem to be. I do have a switch activated ignition system, but it just seems to be charging to much. The battery yhat was in the 710 originally, had blown up, and puked acid all over the tractor, whch is why I think it was parked for man years. Thanks for the information.
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
As stated above, if the voltage on the system is correct you have no problem. An amp meter shows the flow of voltage, not where it might be going to. You may only be seeing the flow of electricity that it takes to run the engine's ignition.

It is a used battery that reads 12.6 volts with no load, and 13.4 to 13.5 volts while the tractor is running.
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Is the battery brand new and what does the battery voltage show at that charge rate?

quote:
Originally posted by TedAC710
It is a used battery that reads 12.6 volts with no load, and 13.4 to 13.5 volts while the tractor is running.
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Is the battery brand new and what does the battery voltage show at that charge rate?

Those number are in the acceptable ranges of all the repair manuals.

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I found out my battery had started to wear out. I went out and put a meter on the battery and found out it was actually sitting at 12.13 volts, and even after sitting on a trickle charger it never read any better. So I got a new battery, and all is good now. Thanks again