Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ever use a leak down tester?????

LesH

Has anyone made or used a leak down tester?? There are several descriptions of how to make one on the net. Looks like it is a "must have" item to have in your shop.

Les, I used the hose from a compression gauge for a make-shift leak down test. 3 of my cylinders on my allis "B" only had 75/80 lbs. of comp. I snapped my air hose on with only 25lbs. of pressure and found that all 3 were leaking out the exhaust. I then knew that a valve job was needed. I agree that it would be a great diagnostic tool for anybody who does engine work.

They are very useful. I have a used a professional grade one, a homemade one, and a Harbor freight model. My brother and I were bored one day and decided to see how they compare...all 3 were within a few % of each other. Given the time involved in making one and the possible problems finding parts, the $40 harbor freight model (20% off coupons are in the back of every magazine marketed to men) is a good tool to have around.