Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

looking for feedback on 5000 and 6000

Ryavel

Looking for feedback on these. I'm new to Simplicity and picked up a 5212.5H and a 6211. Also picked up a turbo collector in need of plastic repair and a rear briggs powered collection unit that I'd like to turn into a trailer type unit. I will probably keep one and sell the other, but is there any benefit to keeping one over the other? Leaning toward the hydro trans, the 6 seems to be more heavy duty then I would ever need. Are they really much different in strenth and durability?

I have some of the 6200 series tractors. I've had a couple of the 5000's. I prefer the 6000 series mostly for the varidrive it works well for plowing and blowing snow. They are a bit more difficult to keep the belts adjusted but not so bad I'd go with a straight 3 speed. Besides that if your into old tractors you'd better like to tinker with them. Mel

Have a 5212.5 gear for 25 years, and except for the transmission being repaired once, all has been good. (I assume twin opposed I/C). Also have a 6216 which works the winter shift. Good news is the blower and deck can be swapped between. And the rear mounting points are the same. The 5212.5 worked both shifts until about two years ago. The 6216 is a bit bigger, but both work well for me. With the 1.5 acres of grass I have put a GOOD number of hours on the 5212.5. Not sure on the 5212.5 hydro as never had one. As many might say keep both with one as backup. sm01

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the hydro just because it's easier to stop reverse etc. I'm sure the 6211 has a stronger rear end. That was another question I had. How much can these things handle towing? Is the hydro going to be weak? It looks like it's pretty sturdy, but how does it compare to the 3 speed on the 6211