Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hydraulic cylinder fittings

Ronald Hribar

I am using pipe fittings on my cylinders. The problem is that on two of the cylinders the fitting bottom out before getting tight. Is there a different type of 90 that i can use? Or can I tap deeper into the cylinder?

Ron, Look at the surface where the hole is tapped for the fitting. If it appears to have a flat machined surface it is for an o-ring face seal fitting. [url]http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/O_Ring_Face_Seal_Hydraulic_Tube_Fittings_s/53.htm[/url] Hope this might help. John U

quote:
Maybe grind off a few threads on the fitting?
That would certainly be a viable possibility. Pipe threads are tapered, that is why they tighten up the deeper they go. I would try grinding them a bit shorter and see what the results are.

I am using street eels and using threaded part in cylinder the female portion of fitting comes very close to hitting cylinder as well. But i could use a nipple and and elbow. I had liked the fit between the eel and the cylinder,it seemed to make that union less apt to break evidently no one thinks i could tap threads deeper

I would try to ID the cylinder MFG and get the specs for the thread. Maybe take it to a local hydraulic supply shop and ask. Our local place has bins right behind the counter full of different fittings.

If I understand what you're saying correctly, "the fitting bottom out before getting tight", then if you "tap deeper into the cylinder", the problem will be worse. The fitting will bottom out at the same location, but because you've tapped deeper, the cylinder hole will be wider since a pipe tap is tapered - that's why the suggestion above of cutting off some of the threads should work. If the ell is too close to the cylinder, grind a flat spot on the female end of the ell so you can turn the fitting into the cylinder more.

BLT solved mystery You know what they say about assume I ordered pipe thread, but it takes the fitting with o ring now Blt is looking for correct fitting

Its called an SAE fitting. Like SAE6 or SAE8...looks like a pipe thread but not tapered instead it uses an O-Ring & jam-nut & washer to seal. sm01 ps...I wouldn't use teflon tape on hydraulics unless you stay 1 thread from the end. if pcs. of it get into your valves/pump/etc it can be bad. good luck