Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B1 axle play

mtoney

After getting my B1 running again, it started leaking fluid out both sides on the rear axle seals. So today I jacked it up to look at replacing the seals as I got new ones from a friend. But, both axles have quite a bit of play up and down. I am guessing a major tear down is needed to replace the bearings. Or can I split the case without removing from the tractor? I wasnt planning to totaly tear it down for repaint till this winter, as I need it to mow soon. Never been into one of these rear ends before. Help! Mike

Can I split it in the tractor, or am I best to just let it leak till I tear down to bare frame this fall for total repaint? It doesnt make any strange noises.

I would wait. You will have to split the case. You won`t be able to leave it in the tractor. If you need a repair manual, send me your email address in a private message and I will send it to you for the B series Allis.

And she will get used more than that. I mow 3 years, 2 plus my own and I have a garden to till under in another month or so. I will just watch the oil level till winter break. I will have from probably late october till just after christmas unless we have an early big snow. Mike

Here's a recent post on real axle seals/bearings: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122051&SearchTerms=axle The above post also has a link to OrangeMetalGuy's post about replacing the axle tube, etc. These posts should help you see what you're going to get into.

Thanks for the link, hopefully mine isnt the axle tube being worn. Probably going to put it off till the grass stops growing as I am about ready to put the mower deck under it. I planned on putting rings in the engine, a full clean up and repaint prior to snow season. Just have to add rear end work to the list I guess. Mike