Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simple-kid

How to replace a points plunger?

simple-kid
Thanks. I didn't have oil leaking into the points so the bushing is good, IT was just that when the motor turned over and went to fast it would loose spark and the plunger would start to move slower, which made the spark die. I pulled the old plunger out, So I guess I need the part number for the plunger? When I put the new plunger in do I just lithely tap it back in through the piston so I don't damage the old bushing? I think I may get it. I need a little help though. LOL Thanks

DanD
You must remove the bushing in order to install the new plunger as the rear side is too large to fit through the bushing. In order to remove the bushing, you have to tap it,thus ruining it for further use. You need both the bushing and plunger. The other option to replace the plunger without removing the bushing is to tear the engine down far enough to remove the camshaft, then you can install the plunger from inside the engine...but I don't think you want to go that route! Be sure to get the rubber seal that goes over the plunger to prevent future oil leaks.

RayS
Why not just use an electronic trigger or and electronic ignition module. Like a Stens Mega Fire II or a Nova II. I have been using them for 10 plus years without any issue and they are less than 20 dollars. You can put some two part epoxy dough in your points plunger hole to seal it from leaks. After using these I would never consider buying another set of points.

simple-kid
Ray, Where do I get the electronic trigger, I already have the electronic ignition module I can use but it would need to run off the points. Does an electronic trigger run of the battery?

DanD
quote:
Originally posted by simple-kid
Ray, Where do I get the electronic trigger, I already have the electronic ignition module I can use but it would need to run off the points. Does an electronic trigger run of the battery?
The electronic ignition modules replace the points and condenser and do not run off the battery. A lot of people like them. However, I put one of them on my model 326431 16 hp Briggs in my 7016 and did not like it. The engine ran fine at low speed, but missed terribly at full speed. So, I then replaced the bushing, plunger and rubber seal along with the points and sealed the points box well, and have not thought about the ignition system for several years. It's run perfectly since I did that work. That is only one man's experience however.

RayS
They are on ebay under those two names I listed. They can also be had from an outdoor power center. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mega+fire+ii&_sacat=159912&_odkw=simplicity&_osacat=159912 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=nova+ii&_sacat=159912&_odkw=mega+fire+ii&_osacat=159912

DanD
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Dan, I wonder if it just had something internal wrong with it, or a bad ground. I have used several brands and the only one that I could not get to work was one called Atom from NAPA.
I never could figure out the problem. My original problem was a worn bushing and plunger, so even with the rubber seal on the plunger, I could get oil on the points, especially when I was mowing my ditch and the tractor was leaning to the left. So I got one of the MegaFire II modules and installed it according to instructions. It ran perfectly at idle and up to mid speed or a little more. However, if I opened it up to run full throttle it missed badly. I had it screwed to different metal parts of the engine and even added a grounding wire thinking it could be a ground issue as well, but nothing made a difference. I also thought the module could be defective, but instead of getting a different one I just ordered the parts to restore the point system and have been completely happy. It's been nearly 4 years and I haven't opened the points cover since I did that work. I think I still have that module somewhere. It would be neat to try it on a different engine sometime but I don't have an appropriate engine to try it on.

landlord2110
I to got the Nova II for my landlord 2110 after having to adjust & clean points all the time. I had to adjust spark plug gap to keep tractor running smooth & has worked great since them. well worth the money.