Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Free

gomez1

Wrong brand but free.Toro Professional 72".Was my girlfriends dads but has been setting at her uncles for a while.9hp Wisconsin engine.Her uncle put gas in it and it fired on the second pull.Drove it around a little and its going to take a little getting used to.Checked the serial number on the engine and it was made in Jan 63.Cool thing about that is thats when I was born.

Bill

LOL The joy of lapping blades ! Those things are few and far between around here any more. Grats on your find and I hope you restore it.

Golf course machine. Probably fairway, first cut of rough, maybe general roughs. Possibly green-surrounds for pretty horizontal layer stripes; not likely cos greens weren't usually elevated back then. Or could have been an 'estate mower'. Pix don't really show what drives it - there's something under motor, but can't tell if it's a metal drum/wheels or another set of tires?? Any idea what mowing height range is? I'd expect range from 1" to maybe 3" max. Machine itself might be older than '63. (repower?) Could be original. That's from the Arny era. Things got more manicured later. "National" mowers are similar but lighter/smaller. Pretty cool rig w built-in time travel. 8D

Here's a neat print ad on ebay to go along with it... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toro-Professional-Lawn-Mower-Pivot-Power-Steering-1960-print-Ad-advertisement-/140803299699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c887d973

Thx for that, Josh. The machine is obviously very very original. dOd Still wondering what drives it underneath. (?) I now understand how it would "take some getting used to". Looks like it'll mow near sideways. 8)dOd Those must be brake controls?? I thought it was handlebar steer - but the handlebars don't move, at least, in all the pix, they are all straight ahead. LOL, a "reel seat turn", advanced butt drive, seat of the pants feeling. 8D Also thinking if it hangs up on that pole, those little 'lift handles'(?) might come in handy. Note the curved guards on the front of the outer reels only. Wow, well engineered package. When I worked golf course, I learned to love Toro machines - this Professional shows a lot of thought in the engineering. I later saw jd machines creeping into the market, and didn't like them - they were comparatively clumsy, heavy, awkward in feel, some nice ideas, but poorly executed. The Toros were focused on maximizing results. ! edit = also it mentions 6-blade reels. Most common push reels use 5-blade reels. Most Pro reels today, I think, are 7-blade reels. They also clock in at about 100 pounds - 'gimme a hand w this'. 8)

My Simplicity/Turfmaster reels are about 100# a piece, based on the ship weight data on ST, and the personal confirmation I achieved while loading and unloading them. Nice reels are quite heavy. For comparison, I recently sold a modern ProMow 7-gang set. Each reel was about 19#. Some thin steel, for sure. I'd love to take that thing across the lawn!

That mower can only be driven in period clothing, ie. slacks, button down shirt, wingtips and argyle socks.dOd Oh, and make sure you get a haircut and comb in some Brylcream.:D

On the right side of the motor behind the tool box is a gear reduction unit.It runs a chain that runs a shaft for the axle.The hand lever on the left is the motion control(forward or reverse)and the one on the right engages the reels.The same shaft has a chain that runs a shaft that turns the reels(chain for the front and belts for the rear).Where the spring runs down from the seat,it pivots right there.It has 4 front wheels with I think solid tires as that was an option and I havent found a valve stem yet.The foot rest is a flat piece of steel about an inch and when it pivots your foot is right above the reel.Im thinking ill probably make some footrests just to be a little safer.There is a hand brake on each side so you can use just one and pivot the mower on its own axis.It says in the manual that height of cut can be adjusted from 3/8" to 2-1/2". Bill

Thanks, Bill. for the details and the great pix. sm01sm01 Awesome machine. I just love it. I've wanted an old Toro greens mower for a long time, for a backyard green, or the ultimate croquet course. But this amazing creature would make a great weekly mower, as long as you like keeping it sharp. Actually you can get away with a lot once it's set up. I've backlapped my push reel - biggest danger is "coning" the reels. Gap between bedknife and blade is 2 pages from the phone book - but not 1. (won't cut 1, will cut 2). That's how they did them. weird, yes. - careful extending the tiny footrests, it could be worse if it 'pegs' your foot on something. Like you said, it takes getting used to. Thanx for great show. sm01