Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

Massey Sovereign the rarest?

Chris727
I am wondering if the Massey Ferguson 2818H is the rarest of the Sovereigns. I see way fewer of them for sale even compared to the 75th anniversary models. The "Belt and Blade" book lists them from 1995 to 2000 with numerous MFR#s. Its hard to believe that a tractor with a 5 year production run never comes up for sale. Maybe these were more common in Canada? I have an old MF12 and MF16 and it would be cool to have a Sovereign to match them.

rs07
You are correct, the Massey Ferguson 2818H is pretty rare. Had a longtime Massey dealer in my area that closed last year and he now works for a nearby Simplicity dealer. I was just talking to him about those tractors not too long ago and he said he never stocked them or sold one. I've seen one of those 2818's pop up on Craigslist somewhere's in the Midwest, not too long ago, but of course it was too far from where I'm at.:D

PeppyDan
I have a Kubota/Massey Ferguson dealer a few miles from me and have asked him if he ever sold any Massey version Sovereigns or Sunstars and he said that he was not allowed to sell any of the MF branded tractors if there was any Simplicity dealerships within a certain number of miles from him. I don't recall how many miles away it needed to be but there are several Simplicity dealers in my area so I probably won't ever find any local MF barn finds:( Dan

Chris727
Interesting. I believe the MF dealer in Jefferson City, MO was selling both Simplicity and Massey mowers at the same time several years ago. Not many MF dealers around here anymore.

PeppyDan
My brother(Massey collector among other brands) and I were able to locate a MF sunstar this spring and my brother was able to trade the gentleman even up for a Simplicity sunstar in similar condition. The gentleman was planning to fabricate a loader on it and didn't care what color it was. neither tractor had an engine but the simplicity had the high/low and differential lock and the MF was the 18hp version with only the power steering/hydraulics. My brother has a 18hp Command engine so it worked out great for both sides. Dan