Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs engine

StinKy

Old Simplicity or A/C garden tractor with no name or mod. # on it has the following engine in it Briggs mod # 200401 ser# B213940 do any of you have a tractor with this eng. model #? If so what is the brand & year of it? I've checked the Briggs site and they only identify it as "antique gasoline engine" and refer me to some link which does'nt work. Appreciate any help I can get and thank you

Sounds like the 8HP replacement engine for the B&S 19 and 19D used in the early 1960's Simplicity 700/725 and AC B-1

Following what Jeff said above, I bought a Simplicity 725 a year ago with an 8hp Briggs mod. 200431, SN 7406261, indicating eng mfg date of 1974, the tractor is most likely a 1962. If you could post a picture I'd guess someone could identify it for you, otherwise, looking throught he gallery might help. Good luck, John(ri)

700/725 is my best guess too. Sides of the hood have been cut away, dash is not like my 64 Landlord at all. It does have one piece 42" deck. I'll get a picture. I've checked gallery and it "looks" like 700/725 tho I don't know the two models well enough to discern any differences between them.John, ser# you listed is the typical Briggs format with date as the lead numbers. Even though mod. numbers are close, what's with that "b" prefix on ser. # I listed?? Could it mean replacement engine? Also nothing in that # which gives logical year of mfg. Jeff have you seen "B" in those replacement engines you mentioned? Thanks a bunch guys

Guess I spoke too soon - as MPH points out it IS the code # that indicates the date - the number I posted as S/N is in fact the code # 7406261. It is the 3rd number in the series (mod. type, code) stamped into the blower housing. I did check this afternoon and found a 4th number just below the first 3 stamped into the housing - it is a decal that reads: "SN E398893". Do you have what looks like a code number stamped into the housing? Also, is your SN on a decal? John(ri)

Pretty sure these engines are dated by the code # instead of the Sn #, Model # tells its a 20cu,in. design series 0, mech gov. flange ball bearing and rope starter according to my book. Out of curoaity is that a match up???