Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The war within

littlemarv

THOSE LITTLE VOICES ALL TRACTOR PEOPLE HAVE...... Littlemarv #1: Sensible, practical, reasonable, no nonsense kind of guy. Littlemarv #2: Likes to play with tractors like he did when he was eight years old. #1: "This tractor was a sound investment. It is well built and will serve a useful purpose for years to come." #2: "We should put duals on it. They look awesome!" #1: "Don't be silly. They serve no practical purpose." #2. "But they look awesome!" #1. "They will be hard on axle tubes and besides, if we put them on the tractor won't fit through the door!" #2: "Who cares? They look awesome." #1: "Building them will be difficult, expensive, and time consuming..." #2: "What the[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img]part of this hobby isn't? THEY LOOK AWESOME!" .....................................................................

#1: "Man, them look awesome." #2: "Told ya." There really wasn't going to be a loser in this battle. Man I love this hobby.

Can't say I have your little war happening. I just have interesting discussions with my tractor. It's not a typical verbal thing; it's more like an exchange of ideas, and sometimes impressions. We are pretty much in tune. He (yes, "he") usually tells me what to do, and with lots of advance notice. We just came through a major hurdle with bgb. Now he's broadcasting about a lot of little things that were lower priority. I want those things too. It's quite harmonious. Your dualeez look awesome. My tractor doesn't want them however - he's considering ags - I like those but I don't think they are best for mowing. They would be good for uphill traction with a trailer full of fire wood. And we are settling on chains for now. I like the space between the wheels on your dualeez. Seems most of them are closer together, even too close. What changes did you have to make?

quote:
Originally posted by littlemarv
THOSE LITTLE VOICES ALL TRACTOR PEOPLE HAVE...... There really wasn't going to be a loser in this battle. Man I love this hobby.
They really do look awesome!dOd

I have some pictures of how I made them... First I took a piece of 3/8 scrap and center punched it. Then I clamped the punch to a cutting torch 3" from the tip. Put the punch in the punch mark and cut out a neat 6" circle.

Then I drilled the 5 hole pattern on a 4 1/2" circle. One is drilled to fit over a 7/16" bolt, the other one is drilled and tapped to 7/16-20 fine thread. Marking the holes was a challenge. I took 360 degrees and divided by five to get 72 degrees, but it didn't come out. I was off on the last hole. So I took pi times diameter to get the circumference and divided that by five. Marked it around the circle with a compass, still off on the last hole. So, I did what any normal tractor guy would do, I drew a 4 1/2" circle, held it up to the wheel, and traced the holes. Perfect! Next I took the wheel off and installed 3" studs in the hub. On the left side you can lock them down with a nut on the back but on the right there isn't enough room due to the diff. The studs are made out of center bolts from the rear springs on a heavy truck. The bolts cost like $1.35 and you get three studs from one bolt.

So then I mounted the inner wheel with regular lug nuts, then bolted the inner plate on. Bolt the outer plate to the dual with original lug bolts. .

Here is where I run out of pictures. I got two pieces of 2" square tube. 1/4 wall thickness. One cut to 8", the other to 7 1/8". This is to account for spacing over the diff in the right wheel. MOST importantly, I took the square tube to a machine shop and had the ends squared up so the wheels run true. I took the square tube and traced around it onto heavy paper. This yeilded a square of about 2 1/16". Found and marked the center of that. Then, glued the pattern onto the center punch mark in the circle. Then I took the circle and tube, eyeballed the tube onto the pattern so its centered, and put it in a shop press to keep it from warping while welding. Weld one circle on, and let sit for 5 min. to cool. Flip it over and weld the other one on. Used washers to space the right one over the diff hub in the right wheel, put twelve pounds in the inner tires, five in the outers, park it out front, and watch people go by and stare......

quote:
So, I did what any normal tractor guy would do, I drew a 4 1/2" circle, held it up to the wheel, and traced the holes. Perfect!
Priceless. dOd :D