Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RayS

Todays Creation

RayS

Needed to make a tiller idler pulley setup today. Pulleys are expensive but it went well. The V pulley that Simplicity uses must me a Simplicity only part as well. Can not find it aftermarket anywhere. This one I used has a heavy duty bearing so it should up up just fine. Not bad to make but would rather do the sleeve hitch and blower hitches.

Talntedmrgreen
Ray, the one pulley is proprietary, and expen$ive! A buddy of mine needed one last year, and we couldn't come up with a decent alternative that would work on an OEM bracket. He bought one new, and it was pushing $70, I think. Nice work by the way! ;)

RayS
The one I have is the same 4-1/2" outside diameter as OEM. Mine is bolted to the shaft instead of the the locking collar type like Simplicity uses. Josh, you are right the Simplicity pulley has to be a proprietary pulley and that is probably why they are so expensive. No mass production equals expensive part. Every time in the past that I try to find one like theirs online it is a dead end. You may have been able to split the pulley and replaced the bearing. I did that this week on the two pulleys for my turbo for the 48" deck that I just finished restoring. I have made 6 or 7 in the past with this pulley and no problems as of yet. Seems like every tiller you buy. The owner has no idea what he did with the pulley bracket. I just get tired of swapping belts between the 38" tiller and the 36" tiller.

GrincheyOne
Always a professional result Ray! The 36" mower deck has a 4-1/2" idler, and appears that the sheaves are welded together. A tad hard to split and replace the bearing (made in Germany). I think the drive idler on the BIG TEN (parts Donor) might just edo in a pinch. If the rain is not too heavy Tuesday, I'll go down to the "bone-yard" and measure the BIG TEN pulley. Today was one of those "domestic duties" days. Wayne

RayS
quote:
Originally posted by perry
nice bracket ^ did they use that pulley on of thier other products ?
No. The pulley is a new aftermarket pulley, but it is simular to the pulley on a FTD snowblower hitch. The pulley works great. Just to bad the OEM pulley can`t be found in the aftermarket.

Sign in to follow this