Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The fleet is complete- for now

littlemarv

Finally picked up this 416H the other day. I've been humming and hawing for a year now, the owner called me and said someone wanted to buy it for the motor and build a puller out of it. Well, we dasn't have that now do we? This one will have to sit on the back burner for now until I get my B-10 done, but I always need to have a next project lined up. I may put the blade on it for pushing snow this winter if I get time to get it running.

There are two sets of numbers on the engine- what do I need for ordering parts or finding a manual?

Whats this? It looks like a bypassed fuel pump to me but I've never worked on a Kohler before

For getting info on the Kohler, you need the model # (K341S) and spec # (71106a). If you need manuals for the tractor, I have electronic copies I believe I got from BLT. If you want copies, send me your email addie and I'll send them to you. PS - yes, that is a bypassed fuel pump.

You can run the engine until the fuel supply level gets down to about 1/2" more or less. That's where inlet to the carb is on the same plane, so you need the fuel pump to empty the tank.

20 years ago, I was happy with one. Now at 72, having ten, I should be unloading a few, but then a deal comes along like free and what do you do?:D

I refinished my 611 Hydro, and I can't part with it for anywheres near what I've got into it. I bought the B-10 and all the attachments for gardens and food plots. I bought the 416 for more HP. I also may put a loader on it- it seems like a stout tractor for that. After putting all the attachments on and off the B-10, I see why you guys say "a tractor for each attachment". So I take it its o.k. to run without the fuel pump? What fails? Does it suck air or something?

They are a simple "Diaphram" type pump, so when it diaphram breaks it stops pumping. The little reed valves are included in the same diaphram I believe. Save it, I rebuilt one yrs ago and it was easy. Hopfully parts are still available...sm01

Well, I got an hour of spare time today so I hooked up my AAPH (thats Auxiliary Allis Power Harness) Drained the nasty gas out, flushed the tank a bit, made sure it was full of oil, and it fired up nice after about ten revolutions. Runs good, drove it back and forth till I ran out of jumper cable. Charges 13.1 Volts too! I need to get a battery this weekend- anybody have any recommendations? The battery thats in there looks more like a small car battery sizewise rather than a garden tractor battery. I plan on using it this winter so I need plenty of CCAs, but how much is too much?

clean the terminals, check the fluid level, see if it comes back - the original batt was pretty hefty. I run a 300 cheepee. Choke on cold start, off for warm start, don't touch the throttle. If I run out of gas I choke to suck fuel through faster. Declutch the hydro for easier starting - otherwise never use the clutch/brake. Fuel pump on my 716 looked like that when I got it - no bypass tho - after a gentle pressure wash bath, I found 4 slot screws on top, and they were loose - tightened those, leak (almost) stopped. I have a gas shutoff dOd valve, and if I remember to shut off, it's fine. I don't think those pumps are available any more. You can get manuals from Kohler website - the ops manual will tell you what all those numbers mean. exact date, etc. etc. There's also a Service manual. It's a great motor. The pullers are causing them to disappear.{} Keep the oil clean. SAE30 WINTER oil 5w20 (see manual) I'm running 15w40 lately. MFR = 1600261 (note 1600, not 1690) (1972-73) 400 Lawn Tractors - Model # 1600261 = Operator's Manual = http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8atF2rE3CGh54bp796Dq Looks like nice tractor. (mine's a "boy", check under hood, front of engine):D THAT ain't no girlee motor! :D

nice looking tractor... the fuel pump is still available from kohler and aftermarket kohler = $100 (no priming lever anymore), aftermarket = $35 The kohler fuel pump rebuild kit is indeed NLA... ive tried (and tried...) to find one... just no go.... The sticker on the top of the shroud by the 16Hp sticker tells us that the engine has had a short block replacement (complete shortblock, crank, rod and piston included) NICE!!!!! you're gonna love it...

You know Mystik, your comment about trying to save the battery made me stop and think. I never even considered trying to save the old battery. Everything nowadays is cheap throwaway junk. Nobody fixes anything. Starter goes out in your car? Slap a reman in from China rather than the expense of paying a blue collar American to rebuild it and be proud of the product when he's done. I think I will pull the battery out, fill it with water, and put the trickle charger on it for a few days. I might save myself 50 bucks. Boy, who'd ever thought a question on a battery in a 39 year old garden tractor would reveal a fundamental problem with todays economy?

Yes, it is OK to run without the fuel pump. My Honda conversion doesn't have one. My Honda was a LP engine I converted to gas. The block for the LP engines are not ported for a fuel pump like their gas equivalents. It is gravity fed. Once it gets down to 1" or so it simply runs out of fuel. I thought about tapping a valve cover for vacuum for a fuel pump but it works fine the way it is. So I am not going to waste the money.

DISTILLED H2O - I think tap water causes troubles. (probably from a pharmacy). Battery out - in a safe place, explosion risk, H2S gas is deadly poison. I think once it's been charging for a while, it's more predictable. Keep child away. I babbled a bunch on this in a recent post by jsarro. see 5th post from the end of thread. (undoing sulfation)(plates get coated with sulfur goo so it can't do it's job)(plates must be in good condition to restore). HERE: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122484 (more) I'm avoiding [google-privacy-invader]. I'm using a claimed NonTracking SearchEngine called "DuckDuckGo". :D I get lots of search results on this by searching: "sulfation battery charge".

Sorry, I don't know whats going on here, I posted two nice pics of the tractor up on top of this thread, then yesterday the top one was gone, now today their both gone and were replaced by a different photo, now I see another pic is gone but replaced by one original picture from the original post???? I tried straightening it out but I think I made it worse.

I think that when you upload a photo it goes to a directory that is specific to all the photos you have uploaded. If you upload a photo with a name you have used before it will replace the first photo... therefore when you look at the original post it will show the photo you have unknowingly replaced with a newer photo with the same name... I think thats how it works... maybe that is the issue???

Sounds good, I have picture 001 in several different spots, picture 002 and so on... I'll have to name them I bet.