Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I don't use Ball Hitches any more!

PurplePiston

I don’t put ball hitches on my tractors any more. My utility trailer is used to bring wood, stone and mulch home behind my SUV. The trailer is well balanced so moving it from my SUV to one of my tractors is easy. I’m sure you design folks would come up with a better design but this work for me. Pictures are better than words. Just thought I would share.

This works well for me.

Looks good from what I can see. No welding needed, I like that. If I were to have any concerns, it would be regarding travel on uneven terrain. Given that, I would still make one for myself.dOddOd

Very good idea. MUCH better than drilling out the tractor draw bar to fit a ball hitch. Nice fab work dOd As long as the upper & lower plates are far enough apart to allow the trailer to tip side-to-side?...looks like they are sm01

I like it. You can buy a ball that is made for garden tractors with a smaller threaded stud, but it is still just a bit too big for my tractor. Also, when I hook up my trailer with the ball, the front of the hitch is almost tight to the tractor, which I don't care for. Luckily, I almost hook the bigger trailer to my tractor so it really isn't a big issue for me. Again, your idea is good! Steve

Here is another idea that works for me.I made a ball hitch that fits over the hitch on the tractor and hold it on with a pin fast to change .Make different hitches for different size balls. They work really well on the 4041 since it does not have the 3 point hitch.

Thats a good idea. with a factory style ball hitch atachment the hitch point is considerably higher making the tractor want to ride a wheelie with heavier trailers. with your system it keeps the pulling force level with or slightly below the rear axle of the factor eliminating any chance of the front wheels getting light on take off. dOd

Creative fab work! I have a ball hitch that is removeable with one pin also, perhaps similar to what ka9bxg is describing. It holds fast to more of the drawbar assembly and the ball mounts through 1/2 steel. Works very well for boat trailers where the axle is placed toward the rear and the tounge can ride low. I dont care to move trailers with any kind of tounge weight to them, using only the small utility tab on these tractors...seems most are bent and boogered up from misuse. My tandem axle trailers also don't like to have the hitch point that low to the ground...many times, they will lift the rear tires off the ground, depending on the contour of the ground. The OEM hitch works better for those, since the ball is higher. It is a slick idea though...works for any make or model tractor, as long as the operator considers the weight of the load.

A ball hitch allows side to side, and allows front to rear movements. I have a situation I sometimes have to deal with on my property - backing up a 3 foot hill, where the trailer is rearend up on a 45 angle briefly. Ball is not a problem. Trailer is (loaded w tractor) 5x10 w a class 3 hitch/chains. Kinda pushes the limits a bit; but it's there.

Great idea, I did put a ball hitch on my roller tho because it ways just over a ton loaded so its not wallering out my tractor hitch hole