Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

charging system questions

steve-wis

My B 206E doesn't charge the battery. I am not much when it comes to the electrics on these engines, so thought I would ask for advice. Here is what I have.....

With engine running there is no voltage at the battery cable. The cable goes to the ignition switch, then one from the switch to the starter. A small white wire goes to the starter also, and this is fused. The fuse is good. Finally, the kill wire goes from the switch to the ground lug. There is no regulator or solenoid, so I assume the switch does it all. Under the engine shroud is a plug with four wires, not sure where they go, didn't pull the shroud. Where do I start? Any help is, as always, appreciated! Steve

Hi Bob, Mine is wired like the bottom pic in the link you sent, without an ammeter. Will test the thing this afternoon. Thanks for the info. Steve

If I am reading the diagrams correctly, the charging lead is the smaller white wire that comes from the starter (thru a fuse_ and that goes to the switch and hooks on the same terminal as the + battery cable? If this is the case, I should run the test talked about on the diagram page using this lead? Steve

quote:
Originally posted by steve-wis
If I am reading the diagrams correctly, the charging lead is the smaller white wire that comes from the starter (thru a fuse_ and that goes to the switch and hooks on the same terminal as the + battery cable? If this is the case, I should run the test talked about on the diagram page using this lead? Steve
Yup;)