Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Revitalizer Blades

bowhunt4life

I know that the blades for Simplicity Revitalizers 990688 are no longer available. Does anyone have a source for replacement blades? I am looking at one but the blades are worn down pretty bad. Thanks, Chris

The only source left is to buy used revitalizers. I have bought three revitalizers for the small frame tractors. One was a NOS that was going to the scrap yard and the other two could not have been used much. Could be made with a plasma cutter. Not sure if they would need to be hardened. The OEM blades don`t seem to be. I doubt it would matter since the run in dirt. They are a odd ball. They have a 7/8" hex for the center hole. Plasma cutter would do it, if a jig was made.

If someone wanted to send me a part, I could reverse engineer the part and create a print and CAD file. Might even be able to have a few cut "samples" from the laser. But with a CAD file any local fab shop could cut some and they only have charge for the machine time a a bit of material. I know on some sheets we cut can find a bit of free material at times. My .02 with morning coffee. sm01

quote:
Originally posted by JohnMBerst
If someone wanted to send me a part, I could reverse engineer the part and create a print and CAD file. Might even be able to have a few cut "samples" from the laser. But with a CAD file any local fab shop could cut some and they only have charge for the machine time a a bit of material. I know on some sheets we cut can find a bit of free material at times. My .02 with morning coffee. sm01
Hi John, I sent you a PM. I will send you a new blade.

I would imagine you could get a pile of members intersted in chipping in to justify a large lot and reduce cost/unit. I would... I had priced some metal fab work last year, and the cost was out of this world for cutting and CNC work. This job would be much simpler, and could probably be done on a larger scale to make it reasonable.

At one point I did a tracing, and measured an unused blade. Remembered trying to figure out what steel to have them cut from. But I set that project aside when I bought blades from a smaller size from a broadmore. I'll see if I can find that file tonite. I had a shop nearby use a "waterjet" cutter to make bolt pattern flanges for my loader spacers. Came out real good. Surface finish of the cut can be rough (like flamecut, ie fast cut speed) or very smooth (ground type finish, very slow speed).

I find myself wondering why they made the blades as they did. It seems to me that heavier steel would be the solution, altho that would require resizing the spacers - or simply deleting one to offset the increased thickness. ? 8) I also had a flash on the concept of 'carbide tipped' blade, like a saw. Probably bad idea. But these are like a different flavour of saw blades, spiker blades, tiller blades, cutters, etc etc. And I don't see how the graceful tips are important, since they are just wearing down anyway, and that graceful shape is probably same shape as the result of wear over time. The holes are just wear indicators - kind of redundant in actual practice. I tend to think that any chunk of steel with a 7/8" hex hole would work just fine. Making the hex hole - priceless. Hack the spacers to fit. I don't know if there's adjustment in blade height; but I thought if there is, then setting at max height and using a slightly over-length blade would last longer. And so I wonder if it's possible to buy steel with hex holes in it. I know it's possible to buy steel with round holes in it. Making it fit the shaft is the most critical element - obviously. Beyond that, the dirt don't care, never did, never will. just my thoughts, no extra charge. sm01

I'm getting a new blade to reverse engineer into a CAD file. Will try to cut a few on a laser and let some people try it. Anyone know the thickness of material? 1/4" cuts great on lasers. Guess I'll find out what I started. Just did a reverse layout to CAD of the rectangular snow blower chute for die design for Briggs. Kind of fun to see it turn into a part on the screen. sm01sm01

count me in on the purchase of a set of blades. I would love to have a spare set. Also John I am local to you and have a machine that can be a guinea pig...if needed

If you cant find a used Simplicity Revitalizer and they dont make blades anymore, what can you purchase to pull behind your tractor to do the equivalent? Any brand will do.

A Bluebird with 3 sets of blades, for all occasions. edit = people are PMing asking me "what's a Bluebird" - I never owned one. Bluebird is mainly known as a dethatcher or power rake - much like simp ez-rake. only usually about the size of a push mower small. They came with 3 sets of blades - for dethatch, and not sure but probably verticutting, and maybe another like the revitalizer. (variations using blades) Adjustable for depth. I don't know if they are still made - but they pop up in ads often. Mainly used commercially - they are expensive. - grossly overpriced. They are so much like a push mower with vertical chain driven blades. 3 sets of blades was maybe an option. (bluebird also make walk behind aerators) - out. sorry for interrupt.

I just read a post on Simple tractor forum where he used a tiller for this by taking off the tines and replacing them with 1/8x11/4 sharpened flat bar.Now that brings up a question as ,Has anyone ever put some `supports on the ends of the tiller tines to give it more support?

Ez Rake then later Easy Vac was bought by BlueBird which is owned by Husqvarna. The manual is below. It uses the same parts as the front mount EZ Rake dethatcher that Simplicity offered as an attachment. Other than the one in the manual is a pull behind self powered unit. They use springs and the revitalizers uses blades or knifes like a slitter. BlueBird is very expensive. http://www.bluebirdintl.com/ddoc/BLUO/BLUO2000_USen/BLUO2000_USen_ER98522_.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by JohnMBerst
I'm getting a new blade to reverse engineer into a CAD file. Will try to cut a few on a laser and let some people try it. Anyone know the thickness of material? 1/4" cuts great on lasers. Guess I'll find out what I started. Just did a reverse layout to CAD of the rectangular snow blower chute for die design for Briggs. Kind of fun to see it turn into a part on the screen. sm01sm01
John, The blade was shipped this morning. So you should have it in a couple of days..

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Ez Rake then later Easy Vac was bought by BlueBird which is owned by Husqvarna. The manual is below. It uses the same parts as the front mount EZ Rake dethatcher that Simplicity offered as an attachment. Other than the one in the manual is a pull behind self powered unit. They use springs and the revitalizers uses blades or knifes like a slitter. BlueBird is very expensive. http://www.bluebirdintl.com/ddoc/BLUO/BLUO2000_USen/BLUO2000_USen_ER98522_.pdf
Thanx for that info, Ray. Too bad Simp didn't takeover EZRake, etc. - wow, that says a lot; about a lot of history, and what might have been. who knows. also a reason for this site, and this discussion, and others - amazing. thx. again. I think I learned something, again. 4i

Look for the sample blade and keep you posted as to my progress. I assume (?) these blades just cut a slit in the grass / soil. Thinking of just making them out of "soft" material as wear would be better than fracturing. Will double check the hardness, and keep all of you posted.

I wonder if there was any news on this... this thread got me to actually pull my revitalizer out and try it... Im glad I did as all my blades are worn down to the point of being unusable... were you able to get a drawing or...???

• 5 weeks later...

Here are the blades that John has made. I haven`t received them yet to check them out but they look great and I am sure they will work fine. If interested you will need to contact him. I think also that this information should go in Tech Tips forum as well under a new post. That he can start and put in there. After the big commotion over the BGB post beinging moved this week. I don`t want to start another war right yet.