Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Can turfs be studded?

mtoney
With a good set of chains, there is no need for studs, the chains do all the work and the studs would hardly ever touch the pavement. I have chains with ice picks on them (extra little steel feet on each cross chain to dig in pack snow and ice. Add some wheel weights on each side and go to town! The newer turfs I have seen have no provision for studs, some of the old Firestone town and country turfs with the zig zag old snow tire tread pattern did have the little holes for studs if I remember correctly. Mike

Talntedmrgreen
I've seen folks that drove short screws into the lugs on AG's to create small, cheap, replaceable ice scratchers. Seems to me it was on this site. I'm sure the same could be done with turfs, but there isn't a whole lotta lug there to utilize. I do as Tim says...chain up and go! dOd

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
I do as Tim says...chain up and go! dOd
Tim who?:D:D I picked up some 6x8 rims for my Serf and I was considering putting Tru-Power bar tires on them. I would rather see screw studs on a bar lug tire rather than a turf tire. I have an asphalt driveway and whether the chained tires, or the studded tires spin, there will still be scratch marks when the ice and snow melt.

GLPointon
My luck the screws would pop out in the driveway and pop my $$$SUV tires.......use chains with turfs, it really works Perfect on snow/ice/dirt/etc...sm01
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
I've seen folks that drove short screws into the lugs on AG's to create small, cheap, replaceable ice scratchers. Seems to me it was on this site. I'm sure the same could be done with turfs, but there isn't a whole lotta lug there to utilize. I do as Tim says...chain up and go! dOd

timflury
I wrote some stuff regarding chains mounted on turf tires and plowing a garden. (BTW, that method works just fine.:D) There was even a guy recently that went without chains on turf tires and plowed his garden with little trouble.