Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKB not charging

lmoret

CCKB not charging on my 9020 when I hook up the battery charger to the tractor the amp meter does not show the charge even with the key on. Does this point too a bad regulator?

The ammeter should NOT show anything when using a battery charger. The ammeter will only show current (Amps) flowing to or from the battery (+ and - respectively)thru the tractor wiring/voltage regulator. There's more to it, but that's the non-technical explanation. If you do a search for "voltage regulators", there were a couple of great tutorials posted by club members here. Jack P

TRY NOT TO HOOK THE CHARGER UP WITH THE BATTERY CABLES HOOKED UP. I HAVE HEAR OF MANY PEOPLE WRECKING THERE REGULATORS.

Charging is no different than jump starting. You can't start an engine with the battery disconnected. Charging will not harm a functioning voltage regulator. I suppose if someone had a dead battery due to a bad regulator, hooked up a charger, later discovered a bad regulator, they might wrongfully assume the charger destroyed the regulator. Jack