Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

leaf vac enclosure venting UPDATED pic 9-15

FlashandFlare

Current venting is via a 12x14 expanded metal grate, given the fact that I can't keep the back door strapped shut, one can only assume more venting is needed. Before I break out the sawzall......... Would adding another 12x14 opening be to much ? Any ideas ?
[img]http://flashandflare.hqnetwork.com/tractor_pics/leaf_vac_vent_01_resize.jpg[/img]
Thanks F&F

I'd say you would need a larger exhaust opening. Do you get a lot of chaff blown out like it is??? And BTW, If I still had my Bora VR6, I would line it up next to your TDI..:D:D Does it have a manual trans??? Find a short shifter out of an Audi A4.:D:D

I don't believe there can be too much venting. The less resistance on the exhaust side of the vacuum the better the vacuum efficiency. The main difficulty is allowing the venting to vent and not get clogged while at the same time not allowing all the vacuumed up debris to blow right back out of the venting. Fabric screening or large screens like yours only bigger, should do the trick. Fabric works well because it flaps around and "cleans" itself of debris in the process. Just my thoughts and observations on the few vac units I have owned and a few that I have built.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
I'd say you would need a larger exhaust opening. Do you get a lot of chaff blown out like it is??? And BTW, If I still had my Bora VR6, I would line it up next to your TDI..:D:D Does it have a manual trans??? Find a short shifter out of an Audi A4.:D:D
I get ALOT of chaff blown out, the vac will actually push the clean out door open and the cabin pressure will also blow chaff all over the back of my head and neck from the inlet tube opening. I would deff like to line up against a vr6, current set up I am about 180hp and 290lbs of tq at the wheels. My TDI is a handshaker, I won't buy a slushbox if I can help it. My GF's station wagon is a 5spd and my Powerstroke is a 6spd
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
You can vent the entire top and the back door.
Lucky for me I have 3 good sized pieces of expanded metal that are gonna find a new home.
quote:
Originally posted by rich_kildow
Agreed, you can't have to much. I've been looking at making a hard top like yours to replace the aging bonnet on my trailer.
I did not build mine, I purchased it this way from a elderly man last fall and used it just how it sits and vowed that I would not use it another season until I modified it.

Derek: I am by no means a genius, but at times I,ve said I should have been. LOL. Anyway, what you have here is a turbo conveying system. The mower deck and vacuum blower make the air that moves the material into the trailer. Once the material is to the trailer you have no more need for the air and need to be rid of it in the most expedient manner. This said, what you need to do is cut the rest of the top all the way ro the rear except for a couple of inches for a flange to fasten the rest of the screen. The size of your hardware cloth looks great. I see one thing I don't like at all. You need to remove the hose that is sticking into the trailer and stop it at the front wall. You said it blows chaff everywhere. That is because with the hose inside the trailer you are trying to pressurize the inside if the box. This creates an unneccesary and unwanted turbulence which will try to blow the fine stuff out of the trailer. When this is set up right you should get only fine dust out of the screen and the trailer should fill from back to front. If you built your trailer it appears to me that you're very handy with metal working. To carry this one step further, build a cover over the front half of the screen that looks like a wedge when viewed from the side. Start at the front with nothing and taper it up till it's about 4 inches high at the rear. Of course, fill in the sides. This will tend to direct the dust toward the back of the trailer instead of straight out the top. Also wear a hooded sweatshirt. Good luck.

Haha,,, slushbox LOL...... I got rid of my VR6 cuz my family instantly grew out of it,,,, and it started to burn a quart o oil every 1000 miles. It was a fun car nonetheless!!:D:D And then I raise my other eyebrow,,,, Power smoke.... I have an '07 Cummins 6.7 with the Benz granny gear 6 speed. The truck's made for towing, not for going. Lots of wheel hop when trying to do burnouts.:O:O I tow my 30' travel trailer with it.

Here is an updated pic of the first modification, if it needs more I will slice a chunk out of the back door also.
[img]http://flashandflare.hqnetwork.com/tractor_pics/leaf_vac_vent_update_01%20-resize.jpg[/img]

Derek: This setup looks perfect to me. I doubt you'll need any venting on the rear door. Just make sure to eliminate any hoses or elbows inside the trailer. Like I said before the hose should not extend into the trailer at all and should stop at the front wall. Let us know how it works, please.