Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 - What would you guys do?

n8in8or

Hi all, there is no right or wrong answer here, just looking for some opinions. This summer I bought 2 7016H tractors from 2 separate people. The first one was complete so I just changed fluids and checked it over and started using it for mowing the lawn. The second one had a blown transaxle (the pump fins were caked with junk so it must have overheated). This machine has the factory optional hour meter and it reads around 370 hours. I swapped the transaxle on the second tractor last week and rebuilt the carb and changed the plug last night.... I can't believe how nice it runs! The muffler is much quieter than the other one and it maintains RPM nicely. On the first tractor, there is play in the throttle shaft so it doesn't maintain RPM as nicely which is a bit annoying sometimes. I plan to address this in the future, but not right away because of other, more pressing projects. Here's my question: I'm very happy with this second machine and love how "fresh" it is compared to the first one so should I make it my new mowing machine in the summer and snowblow with it in the winter, or just mow with it, or just use it for occasional work, or??? I had thought I would use one machine for summer and winter work because it seems to me that if you keep a machine working year around it doesn't deteriorate from sitting. But then again, since this one is fresher, I'm not sure I want to use it up. I have a rototiller, push blade and plan on making a grader blade and these are the tasks the machine I choose to be the "work" tractor will be used for. Also, the seat on the second machine is in fantastic shape still. Do I have to worry about it cracking if I use it in the winter? I'd hate to ruin a still original, perfect seat. If any of you are still reading this, ha, I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this. Thanks, Nate

My opinion, like many here, is to use them both, or all. I have a mowing tractor, a snowplow tractor, a dirt plow/tiller tractor, a trailer pulling tractor, and 2 more back-up mowing tractors. Will soon have a tiller only tractor, then my yard work will still be undone. boox

There is a throttle shaft bushing kit available for these carbs. The old number 23108 and the new number is 691769. Last I knew you could still buy the upper carb body as well. That number is 299687 ($31) or 391067 ($67) depending on the type number of the engine. Not sure about the seat.

My opinion is to use it and don't worry about the seat etc. if you like it better and especially if it is quiter use it for both winter and summer. I'd save the backup for the tough jobs like tilling and plowing. I find it easier to maintain one main tractor and when you need the occasional tractor you may need to jump it or fix it and it's not as critical as mowing or blowing. Just my opinion, you can't really make a bad decision. Let us know how you proceed.

You don't mention wanting one for show, so use them. Looks only really matter to the owner, and that's you. As long as you have room for both, keep them both and do the roughest work with the roughest.

More is always better! Having said that, I have a newer (1995) Broadmoor that does lawn duties in the summer. A 2110 that gets a snowblower, An AC 712H that get's a blade, and an AC Homesteader that the FIL has at his lake cottage. Plus a couple that just decided to hang out around here.:o)

Winter isn't that long that things will deteriorate, esp. if you put them to bed nicely - see manual instrux - use Stabil in the gas tank. Change oil from usual SAE 30 SUMMER - To 5w20 or 5w30 Winter. I would use the uglier for winter. Chains and wweights help. RayS has shown you a fix for throttle. Ugly seat - it depends - a cover? or good old duct tape instant repair. You can get black duct tape. If one quits, it's a parts tractor for the other. If you have space - keep both. For now, use both to find out what's up with both. Do you have pix of both? that you can post here?

I appreciate all of the thoughts so far. Oh yes, I'm definitely keeping both tractors (and always keeping my eyes open for others to add :D) so my question was more on thoughts of when to use each of them. I just got the low hour tractor together last night, now I just need to get the headlights working - all 4 bulbs were burnt out and the headlight harness was melted and shorted. I have read on replacement bulb alternatives so I'll be checking some of those out. At this point I am going to use the low hour tractor for mowing and likely for snowblowing as well. This is for a couple reasons: the muffler is quieter so it will be less annoying for when I'm mowing or snowblowing a couple hours at a time. I also just swapped the transaxle and it works nicer than the trans in the other tractor so I'm enjoying that more as well. And finally, when I did the trans swap, I used the frame plate from a 7100 series tractor so it allows me to hook the snowblower up to the mid PTO. I plan to do the plate swap on the other tractor at some point, but not sure when. I did take a couple pictures last night of them after I parked them. They're not show pieces by any means, but they are honest and mostly original.

Ahhhh. they are keeping each other company. How sweet. :D Not sure; but it looks like maybe they both had the "pod lights" at one time - hard to tell, looks like removed from one. If that's true, they both might be similar age. Are there 'stickers' with MFR (model) numbers? Mine's an Allis - 716H - 700's were made from 74-79 - but they dropped the pod lights after mid-77. Mine's late-model - engine codes indicate 1979. Engine is Kohler K341s - not sure if you can date code from a Briggs - all those 7000-series Simp's used Briggs - except the 18horse was a Kohler. I really don't see an ugly seat - did you replace? small seat is the original - mine has that - comfy - I duct taped the cracks. Take care of both of them - they are talking to each other - if you treat them well, they will love you. sm03 And btw, mine is a "boy".8D Nice switch on the plate for mid-pto snoblo. Pix of that? cool. 8D

Yes they both have the pod lights. I have the pods removed from the one tractor because I was trying to find the short in the harness (found it!). So now I'm deciding which bulbs I want to buy to replace the burnt-out ones. Both tractors are model 1690006 which makes them '75 or '76 models. I keep meaning to write down the rest of the serial numbers so I can register them, but I haven't gotten that far yet. The tractor without the pods is the one that has the original seat with no cracks, the other seat is one I bought off of Ebay to replace a Cub Cadet seat that was on that tractor when I bought it. It's comfortable but not constructed very well. So right now I don't have an ugly seat, I just didn't want to damage the still nice original seat unnecessarily. I have switched tires back and forth a couple times now. I started mowing with the ags and ribs but the ribs tear up the lawn like a disc when you turn sharp so I switched back to turfs. I used to use them on my Bolens when I snowblowed with that and they helped a little but I'm going to try the turfs at first this winter and see how I like them. I loaded them with washer fluid so I'm curious to see if that helps any too. I didn't take any pics when I swapped the plate, but it was much more straightforward than I anticipated it to be. I was lucky because the pulley came right off of the BGB without any trouble. I've read other peoples' horror stories so I was a bit anxious when it came time to disassemble that. I swapped the transaxle including the side plate in about 3 hours.....that was my first time doing a Simplicity and without a manual, so it's really not too tough a job.

Yup, I hear that. Wow, you are a lot more mechanic than I hope to become - I fear all kinds of things going wrong when I do anything - probly cos as a total noob, the first thing I ever did was deck spindles - which is kinda like a weird deathwish or whatever - I tortured myself. That's long gone tho. I'm glad to hear you got thru all this - you are way ahead of where 'newcomers' are generally at. I'm throwing in a couple pix of my Allis just so you can see they are basicly same traxtor; mines '79, after they changed the front lights. Also - there's a fat manual called "The Large Frame Repair Manual" LFRM that you can download if you goto (RayS) (club prez) Profile, bottom righthand corner. covers all these tractors from 60's on up. With that and the manuals from Simp site (need the MFR) you will have most of the info. Then there's the other tektips sections of the forum, plus you can always ask, as you know, anything. Anyway, here's couple shots of my "boy" tractor - he talks. sm03

That's a good looking tractor there... I do think they look good in AC orange. I should have that repair manual coming in the mail today actually. I bought one off of Ebay Monday. I like paper manuals, I know it's smarter to do electronic ones, but I just like having something in my hands that I can flip through. I also like the way a real factory manual looks on a shelf too. I guess I'm weird like that. Thanks for the thoughts and tips.

quote:
Originally posted by n8in8or
That's a good looking tractor there... I do think they look good in AC orange. I should have that repair manual coming in the mail today actually. I bought one off of Ebay Monday. I like paper manuals, I know it's smarter to do electronic ones, but I just like having something in my hands that I can flip through. I also like the way a real factory manual looks on a shelf too. I guess I'm weird like that. Thanks for the thoughts and tips.
Not at all. I think about setting up an old pc in my garage - it doesn't take much to dialup, open manuals, and have it all right there. A good manual is one with greasy, oily fingerprints all over it. :D Not sure if that translates well to mouse and keyboard. maybe. old pc junk can be perfect. dOd

My barn is over 200 feet from the house so internet is a bit tricky at the moment but it is on the list to do someday. I replaced the swing arm too, sorry I should have been more specific. At least now I know you're thoroughly reading my post!

quote:
My barn is over 200 feet from the house so internet is a bit tricky at the moment but it is on the list to do someday.
I'm not sure. Would a wireless router work? I'm not sure how far they broadcast. It's not very far. Just a thought. Also, a phone line might work; but you would want a solid chunk of wire to reach 200'. Phone lines run on just about zero current - that's how they function in blackouts, etc. I'm on dialup here, cos I live in a 'black hole' - no highspeed dsl, no highspeed cable - and I refuse to support the wireless ripoff - no cell phone either. And I really don't need to learn how to type while walking with my head down. A friend comes to visit me sometimes, and most of the time he is here, he is busy texting, or answering the phone - it's another world. I'll probably go there eventually - but Canada pays more than almost the rest of the world. There's a monopoly war happening in Canada right now - pretty insane, people will support anything. But hey, if you like hardcopy - do your thing. Nothing wrong with the real thing. this cyber stuff isn't all it's HYPED up to be. Having it all in one book is a lot easier to take anywhere. It sounds like you hardly need the book anyway. sm01

It's not a huge necessity for me at the moment so I'm not trying too hard to do anything about getting internet up to the barn....it's kind of low on the priority list. Within the next 2 or 3 years I'm going to run water, sewer, upgrade the electrical to 200 amp service and run data cable back to the barn so I will have all of the creature comforts back there. Someday.....

Nice set of tractors...dOd Multiple tractors are nice as long as the one not in use can be indoors. Where I live mice like to nest in the engine blower housings if one sits outside during cool weather ngr2