Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JJ MARSHALL

put pictures in ads for resale

MysTiK
It depends. Original pix, from typical digital cameras vary in size from 2-5 megs!! Resize to 512x384, or 640x480 might, but often won't work with large originals - often come up with 150-250 Kb. I don't use apps that only do resize - so I don't know exactly how those work, or what features they offer, if any. I use a very popular 'viewer' called IrfanView - it does tons of things, I think of it as Mini-Photoshop. It's a small app, about 5 megs - so it's extremely efficient - and the menus are busy with options and choices - very versatile - no frills. Designed by a grafx guru. I use it to resize to 512x384 OR 640x480 OR 800x600 - it doesn't even matter about that part. (but they all fit the screen well) AFTER resizing, I SAVE - and that offers me a QUALITY SETTING - a sliding scale from 0 to 100 % QUALITY. Usually 80-90% quality comes up under 100Kb - job done. In IrfanView, the Q setting is only available on SAVE - nothing changes until it's saved. WHICH is WHY you Always work with copies of your precious originals - hack the copies. So you can experiement and just delete the messed up copies, and try again, until it's exactly what you want. So make copies and put them in a NewFolder and have a party. This is way too easy once you struggle through once or twice. The resolution settings are CLICK selections. Check the box that says "preserve aspect ratio" and it auto sets dimension for unusual sized pix - like 640 x 888 - goofy stuff. been using this for years - free download free updates free and Powerful - plus all the other tools with it. . www.irfanview.com gives a full description of the HUGE list of features, options, plugins, it does almost everything, not quite. Extremely handy for viewing other members pix in fullscreen, with Zoom. Fast. Efficient.

MysTiK
You can also try it with lower and lower resolutions; but that makes smaller and smaller pix. Resolutions are simply like measuring a picture frame. So 800x600 is larger pix onscreen. And half of that - 400x300 is half the dimensions onscreen - but the total surface area is also less - and so it might fit the limit of 100 Kb. But if you choose a nice size like 640x480, it fits nicely onscreen, it doesn't offend people, gets close to the size limits, and then you can tweak the Quality setting slightly to get under the 100Kb limit. The Quality of the photo is important, but we aren't running a photo contest. The SHRINK pix are still very good for determining how much rust is on an old tractor, and whether or not the deck has holes in it, or whether the paint is original or badly scratched repaint, etc. And if you aren't sure, ZOOM IT until it breaks up, or "pixellates" and turns to nothing buy dots. Pixels are just dots. Megapixels make PIX. I imagine the resizers do something like this - but I suspect it might either be a menu selection, or it might just do it auto. Or maybe they allow you to select a size and done. The app I use gives you total control - just work on copies instead of originals, until you get used to how it works. Then you can go to other menus and do some really cute stuff - it does tons of things. Just play with copies and relax. Have fun.

Modifier1
I have Photo shop Elements 9 and I pull up my pic library, bring up Photo Shop, drag the pic I want to photo shop reduce image size to 6x4 or what ever suits you then hit file in upper rt corner-click on save for web when screen comes up ( screen says it is to big just hit ok upper rt corner change to Jpeg Med or low quality then down below that just put in pixel size like 800 or 600 it will fill in the rest and hit ok the pic will change and tell you what the KB is. If to big just change the pixel size and save to your file. Works for me. Good Luck

MysTiK
IrfanView does it the same way. but it's faster cos it opens in 2 seconds. It's my default viewer so I just click the original pix and save w a new name. The resize section retains settings for next time. I use 80% quality usually = often 65-80 Kb. Lately I did a batch-resize on 100 pix. I'm thinking of shrinking most of my camera pix. I really don't need 4 meg photos generally. They are filling my hard drive. So I could resize all in a batch. Gotta be careful renaming and resizing the entire hard drive. oops. Windoze won't like that. But all pix in one folder - zoom - done. Instant hard drive space. Most of my pix just sit there. Photoshop does a lot of tricks tho. A friend did a pix of his daughter - it was full colour originally - he flipped it into a black and white - but she had screaming pink shoes on. That's cool. :D Pshop's real power is in editing - severe editing especially, with layers superimposed on other layers. But it takes a lot of memory and speed to do that. It is serious Professional Commercial software. There's some insane software out there. And some crazy plugins for photoshop too. I have all that stuff but never got past the learning curve. I think it would be cool for planning a custom paint job on a tractor. You could probably Shop something and post it in show n tell. 'look what i found'. :D:D an orange j deer. 4i

MysTiK
When I first learned pc's, knew absolutely nothing except where the delete key was, learned how to kill windoze - a friend taught me, and forced me to learn DOS - which made me "location aware" and "active folder aware" - and that's most of dos. In windoze, I still think like that - and it is key to overcoming most of the confusion that people have. Just like in real life = 'where am I, and what am I doing". Computers simply mimic simple things that people do - like pick this up and put it down here. rocket science. who'da thunk it. What seems complex is just programming that picks this up and puts it here. It's endless crawp. ALWAYS the same old, same old. 8) crk8 :D When people learn that, it's easy. What's hard is stuff that socalled "user friendly" - unless you think like an idiot, cos that's how they view their marketing base. A whole generation is pursuing that - omg. DOS was more fun, cos getting it to do anything was a small miracle. Computers are entirely stupid. I used to think it was cool to get it to boot and say Hello Graham. show my friends - hey, you gotta see this. And no matter micro$$ tells you, DOS is still in the background of windoze - cos that's all they know. It's just miles of simple programming - same as it ever was. "code bloat". If people only knew. I still use xp. if you hit F8 every 2 seconds on boot - hello DOS. they said it was gone - but the tekky's know better, and that's how to fix the garbage that windoze permits - which is what keeps the tek industry going. all you need for emergency is a boot disk with some toys on it. maybe a password hakker. I don't bother anymore. everybody wants it for free. so be it. every couple of months delete all your temp files. and get a registry scanner. like regvac. end of tek industry.