Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Walbro Carb

Modifier1

I tried to order a carb kit and throttle shaft w/bushings for the carb on the A/C 716H but the guy said i had to buy the whole carb-no parts available. Say it aint so Joe:(. It is supposed to be a Walbro? Carb # 4505387 the #superseded to 4585309. original eng # K341s spec 71240a ser# 9239569 any ideas

I saw your pix in your profile (i think it was you) and you had an orange motor, in your other 716. This engine in these pix looks black, just like my K341s. The AC-700 series manual only mentions one carb - and it is a KOHLER CARB. sm01 Your main fuel, idle fuel, and idle speed screws are identical to mine - and I was just playing with them. Therefore - it ain't so, Larry. :D If you like to hard compare, I can run and shoot pix of my carb - and then lolol resize quickly with IV, dontcha know :D = haha this is too funny, gigglez. Should be a Kohler carb if it's the original K341s engine. OOPS = THIS IS ALL WRONG - SEE BELOW = OOPS WAS THIS THE SHORT BLOCK REBUILD?? Maybe that's the issue. See below.

Strange stuff happening, Larry Looks the same BUT I have a Kohler Carb Cross Reference and it says Your carb is a WALBRO. surprise. But the diagram in same xref shows the main fuel adjustment is supposed to be on the side - maybe it's just a general diagram for walbro. Your adjust screws are identical to mine. Is it possible to attach a different carb to the same base - the number seems to be on the base ?? I don't know much, if that's really a base, or what? My numbers are in same place as yours also.

I had to do a screenshot cos it wouldn't let me copy the whole page, or the whole chart. I resized big so you could read it easily. 1024x768 Had to reduce quality to 70%. PM your email addy if you want it emailed to you. sm01 it's a 3+ meg pdf.

the throttle shafts are the same for kohler and walbro for the #26 carbs.... im not sure for the #30 carbs.... maybe someone here can tell you for sure about the #30... I know the kohler shaft and bushings are all still available... Ill bet $80 would get it completely re-done for you as a send out.

Here is a link to a Kohler Carb Manual I posted awhile back in the Tech Tips forum. http://vrr.dyndns.biz/Docs/Kohler/TP-2377-E_Carburetor_Reference_Manual%5B1%5D.pdf

My BIL came by with the carb off his engine. I had quite a few Kohler carb parts around. His ended up being a Walbro. The two carbs would interchange on the motor, but the carbs themselves were quite different and the parts would not interchange between carbs. Parts were still available for the carb. This was last summer. Search the internet, not just local dealers who are looking for big money for parts.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
Here is a link to a Kohler Carb Manual I posted awhile back in the Tech Tips forum. http://vrr.dyndns.biz/Docs/Kohler/TP-2377-E_Carburetor_Reference_Manual%5B1%5D.pdf
That's the same manual Ray, I believe I downloaded from the previous post you mentioned. So people can download it directly.

Sorry to reply so late. I checked out some of the numbers from the charts and if I am right the repair kit is 25 757 02 and the shaft kit is 25 757 05. According to my carb # 4505387 it is a 1" kohler carb. Walbro carb is a 45 053 87 (KA)? That's what I get out of it. Repair kit #25 757 02 $15 and the shaft kit #25 757 05 $50.00 I noticed that some parts sites add an S to the part #. Some say the shaft kit is obsolete. Maybe I should just pull the carb off and really check it out. Thanks everyone for puting me in the right direction.

Boy If you are confused imagine how I am. I think I was looking at numbers in my sleep. These are what I was looking at from the Kohler manual.

This last one has on the end has my carb # but with a KA on the end, so yes I am confused or am I looking at something totally different?

Yup, I noticed that too. (??) Nice pix, btw. :D If I am following correctly, your engine is a 'short block' rebuild, which is probably a good thing. But maybe, in the process, the carb got changed to Walbro. And maybe the "looks identical walbro" really is a walbro, a Kohler knockoff ?? w walbro parts ?? The parts numbers in the xref are the same, some have spaces between the numbers, and those letters?? who knows what those mean?? I am thinking now that maybe a call to a good parts guy could shed some light. I love good parts guys, when I find them. Maybe then you can say that it is, or isn't, so. Or perhaps someone else can translate this little mystery. There might be an easy way out of this - and we have several suggestions already. Speaking of good parts guys - the useless local auto supply - soon as I say "AC" they just quit. B) But there's a tiny little rural village of Castleton, ON., with a hot parts guy in the only auto supply, probly serving local agriculture - he didn't shy away from the word "Allis" or "Kohler". Had a pleasant phone call - I'm going there soon. Just because the guy knows his stuff, and took some time, found info, and quoted cheaper. dOd

This pix is a KOHLER CARB - straight out of the AC 700-series Ops Manual. There is near identical pix in the [Kohler Carb Xref Manual] labelled as WALBRO CARB - ??
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/MysTiK/CarbAdjustRESIZE.jpg[/img]

What if I just pull the carb and take it apart would the guts tell us a different story? I feel that the eng is probably the only real good thing on this tractor. I think I could write another 1 or 2 more posts on this tractor.

Ummm, I still think a second opinion is the thing. That was the original idea, right? Combined with disbelief in the idea that you can't get parts. Then we tried to disprove that it's a Walbro, despite the xref. I think it's still a question of - can you get parts - since nothing else has changed, except we had a few laughs on the way here. :D Once that is known - then it's up to you. Or you could ignore the xref, and go for a rebuild kit, etc. from a Kohler - in which case, you will have firsthand info - success or fail. So, methinks a 2nd opinion from a good parts guy. You must have had a good weekend. :J 8D Is the carb really bad? would a bath help? Mine could probably use a kit and throttle also. I'll get there eventually. I just tuned my main + idle jets recently, that helped. I'm more interested in learning some other basic maintain trix now - carb is under control for now. but that's just me. This is all new learning fun for me. Yeh, if another guy tells you it's walbro and need to buy whole nine yards, then you know. It kinda seems to me that Kohler just farmed this out to a knockoff company that maybe tweaked the size/shape of parts (?) - but I don't know anything about who Walbro is. At least you have an adjustable carb. Some aren't. I found my main fuel adjust screw was pretty flaky, and just went tuning by ear, abandoned the basics of lean/rich - I was kinda proud of myself. so far, no problem. But I find perfection in olde tractors to be expensive. If it works, I don't fix it.

Good point. Actualy I have not tried to play with it. I can see and feel the shaft is sloppy and have not tried any adjustments. Can't hurt to try.

I'm not much of a mechanic, and often describe myself as an armchair mechanic - meaning I read a lot, wherever I can get info, and then try to apply the info to some practical use - be it diagnostics or actually doing something. The actual 'do' is always terrifying based on hard lessons previously encountered - everything from 'oops' to stripped bolts to 'omg if only I hadn't done (whatever) to apparent 'murphy' scenarios, etc. These things are old, and for me it's about watching to understand where things are at. Some things, like recent bgb, I knew it was coming when I bought the tractor, and research didn't make the job seem any easier. So the search for solution led to a friend saying 'I can help. done a few'. That was my lucky break. Other stuff, I take good care of lubes and oils. Tweak things. Keep it simple. And always watching and planning and dreaming, etc. Since bgb repair, I feel less anxious, which is nice. But there's more excitement to be had always. My tractor just keeps on running, while I guestimate the next hurdle. But I learn, and I notice more confidence, perhaps a result of hanging out here. Things I could not do in the beginning, I can now do. some kind of evolution happening, which is all good. But I make mistakes, and have to own up in honesty, which is easier than pretending I'm a freakin know-it-all - that doesn't work, and people don't like it either. So, I pass Go, collect 200, and go around again. simple. sm03 I daresay the experts here went through their own learning process; and the lessons keep us all humble. But me, I humbly defer to some highly experienced people - often, and no problem; and that doesn't discount my own experiences. We're all just sharing, trying to get somewhere. It's all a learning thing, and a celebration now and then. sm01 and a few gigglez too. But right here, I am learning about carbs - there's a book called A Course in Miracles, says 'we teach best what we most need to learn'. (strange, true, and surprising). Some stuff must needs be fixed. And I need the right 'tools'. I have seen impossible dilemmas fixed in these threads. Try this: a search, in upper Search Menu - for - "kohler walbro" - there's a ton of results that might broaden the picture.