Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mowing results with my B1

mtoney

I managed to get the belt on the larger mid pulley and tried cutting with the 32" mower deck on my B1. The cut quality seems decent but I am leaving a trail of cut grass down the middle of my cutting path. Blades are sharp, no bent blades, all bearings tight and running smooth, deck as close to level as I can get with around a 1/4 inch rake from front to rear with the nose being lower. What am I missing? I know Allis/Simplicitys can cut way better than anything else. I definatly have plenty of power behind that deck, 10hp fresh Briggs! Should be able to cut anything with that little deck. Mike

Is it a 2-blade or a 3-blade deck. If it's 3blade, maybe one blade is upside down, or loose, or just not turning? (seized??) or possibly bent. Are all the rollers there? no gap in rollers - there could be a gap where the wheels will act like rollers to bend the grass over. that's not unusual. But there's no wheel in the middle anyway - so maybe missing a roller. If it's 2-blade deck - if the missed strip is narrow, there's a gap between the blades - meaning blades are wrong size. A 2blade would use one large blade, one small blade, and the deck would be angled to create the offset so the blades don't clash hit each other. My Pacer is a 2-blade deck (34"). that's all I can think of. How wide is the missing strip.?

there are NO issues with bearings, blades are on correctly with no damage. I checked all the obvious issues I could think of. Everything is spinning quite nicely. Not sure why its leaving the strip of cut grass out the middle. All the rollers are there. I am going to pull the deck back off tomorrow and see if I can see anything I missed. Belt stil rubs more than I care for, not sure if the belt is gonna last. MIke

All the 32's are 3-blade decks...mine have left the same cut as any other, larger Simplicity deck. This sounds strange. Are all the baffles in there? Do you have a pic of the underside of the deck? Sounds like the airflow is goofed up. When operating properly, the deck should lift, cut, and force clippings out the chute. Perhaps the deck is too close or too far from the ground creating suction issues? (we need pics...action pics and underbelly pics)

No baffle, doesnt look like there ever was one. The deck has absolutly no rust issues. Wonder if it was removed close to when it was new. Deck came off a B207 that was a one owner machine before I bought the deck from it at Portland last month. I can see where the missing baffle would have effect on lift and cut quality. Not much room in those little 32"s for a baffle either. I think if I heat and hammer a divit in the crossbar on the roller arms, the belt would be much more happier, it really rubs hard on it. And if I raise the deck, the pto re engages on me. I have tried to adjust that issue away without helping any. I will look at it more tomorrow. Mike

Yepper, found a pic of another 32" off a broadmoor and it has a baffle. Guess that might be the culpret of my grass streak I have. Guess I need one now, should be fun to impossible to find one. Mike

Hello, Here is a photo of a deck repair that I did. The Baffle was missing a section ! I made a cardboard template of the good side and cut a piece of sheet metal, bent it and welded it together.

Thank's Ken in Mi

Sorry I misread - or missed it - you are leaving CUT GRASS. I was thinking UNCUT grass. My error. Baffle missing = loss of engineered airflow = grass free to fall out. That's the 2nd thing I learned today. Thank you. I like the suggestion to weld one in. They basicly follow the blade arc with a bit of clearance, like a half inch or so. The front being 1/4" low would promote this also. s/b a 1/4" high. Surely there is a correct 32" deck in the universe somewhere. You know if everyone advertised on CraigsList or Kijiji........ sm01 What a concept. 8D (is there a Simp equivalent?) Simp 725? Is that same thing???? I just posted this ad on Kijiji. anybody can copy it. I want to ad pix to it. http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-outdoor-lawnmowers-leaf-blowers-Allis-Chalmers-32-MOWING-DECK-circa-1962-Model-B1-W0QQAdIdZ413616935 NOTE - this is just a private ad - it has nothing to do with this site and has no reference to this site. What if one is found? cross that bridge when we get to it.

Mike Do you have good clear pix of your tractor? And do you have one of the actual 32" deck? also - is a Simp 725 the same tractor? If everybody does this we could have a continental search for an elusive deck. Are you ok with that? sm01

I will get a better pic in a little bit. My deck is off an Allis Chalmers B207/Simplicity Broadmoor. The deck is the same basic yellow color as my B1. What isnt correct on the deck is the mounting bail assembly, the front arms didnt line up with the axle mounts on the B1. According to others here, Simplicity made 4 versions of the 32" mower deck, only 1 of those is for the B series tractors. It was an optional deck and not very common to see on a B series. Most all the B series I have seen have the 42" mower deck. I have managed to reshape the front arms and adapte them to my B1. I didnt realize that there was a baffle plate missing inside the mower deck and she is leaving CUT grass down the middle of my mowing path. So based on whats been said here, the loss of suction/airflow from that baffle missing is causing my issue with the grass spitting out the middle of the deck. My final hurdle is massive belt rub when I run the belt on the larger of the 2 mid PTO pulleys. On the smaller one, I obviousy dont get the blade RPM I do on the larger one, although when I did try running on that pulley, I did not see any help in grass discharge. Running any shorter of a pto to deck belt, to lift the mid pto up a bit more thru belt tension will cause issues with my mid pto to BGB belt not disengaging. Which I already have a little bit of, but just need to adjust the tensioner a bit more. So, what I need is a good used baffle. I do not have the means to produce my own. Mike

The baffles should be very common...there are a billion 32" decks out there for the small frame tractors that would use the same components. This is the correct deck...it is a tough find. Best bet is to track down a 32" from a 700 or 725 and paint her up. I've seen more of them in Simplicity colors than AC yellow.

quote:
deck as close to level as I can get with around a 1/4 inch rake from front to rear with the nose being lower.
I believe the "nose" is supposed to be 1/8 - 1/4" higher, not lower. How much this is affecting your cut I do not know, but that's my 2 copper Lincolns.

thanks for pix, Josh. I edited my ad to include them. http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-outdoor-lawnmowers-leaf-blowers-Allis-Chalmers-32-MOWING-DECK-circa-1962-Model-B1-W0QQAdIdZ413616935

I wish I could find one of those decks posted above, even in rusted out condition, I could swipe the running gear parts. Interesting about the deck adjustment, never seen one that ran nose higher than the rest. I can do that. Anybody got a spare transmission in thier way, really getting tired of the puddle of rear end fluid. Gonna need more than axle seals to fix this one. Thanks for the pics and the deck adjustment post. MIke

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
I thought I would never find the baffles for my 42", too. Try calling Sandy Lake Implement. They have em.
That's a good idea. "Brenda", at Sandy Lake Implements, is a member here, she knows the game, and she has a ton of old tractors. She also helps sponsor this lil playground, see simpletractors home page. http://www.simpletractors.com/ http://www.sandylakeimp.com/

I will give Sandy Lake a call this next week, pretty busy this weekend on other projects. Trying to figure out how to give my deck more nose up angle without lowering the rear of the deck, it mows low enough as it is. Mike

I made some more "adjustments" to my mower deck to get it leveled per the above post. I also adjusted the rear cross bar between the roller arms to better clear the belt when on the proper mid pto pulley. I have a line on a baffle plate to fix my cut grass streak issue. Getting closer to mowing with the old girl. Thanks for all the help guys, this has to be the best Allis/Simplicity group hands down! Mike