Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonderboy 575 snowplow (pics added)

steve-wis

Finally got all the pcs. together for this project and got it mounted today. Still needs to be cleaned up and painted, but thought you might like to see the pics, not too many of these around any more. Thinking of mounting small ag tires on some extra rims and chains to try this out this winter,,,,should be a blast! Thanks to Todd for the mount, and Mark for the shoes. For the purists out there, the hitch is from a 400 Wonderboy, not the 575. The right one would have the foot lever on the right side and a long rod with a grip to lift the blade by hand instead of the pivot pin. Didn't worry to much about it, when you use a stick steer, you really don't have any free hands anyway! Steve

quote:
Originally posted by gwiseman
Pretty darn unique setup. Might be fun to post a video pushing snow watching the necessary hand-foot coordination.
yeah that would be neat to see if Steve could keep his feet coordinated enough to run it LOL

Very cool! How easy is it to lift, and how high does it go? I have a NOS one, but it's for the Super Wonderboy, and so, I have nothing to mount it to ;)

Josh, The blade is lighter than the tractor blades, and no wear strip on the bottom, so it lifts very easily, but only about 3 inches right now. To plow I would remove the deck so the lift pedal wouldn't hit it and then I am guessing it would lift maybe 5 or 6 inches. My wife has agreed to do a short video of me using it if and when we get some snow (this mostly to show Todd that yes, I do have the required hand-foot coordination):D:D May not have the ag tires and chains by then tho, with other projects lined up in front of this one. Going to play anyway tho. Steve

That is just too darn cool 8D I just love how Simplicity/Allis Chalmers made a mulitude of attachments for about every machine made. Thats what made these machines so useful & popular for ALL property sizes/budgets/jobs. I know this was a fab/mod job but the same still holds true...Awsome job, Thanks dOd

Greg, Not a fab or mod. All pc's are factory, just that the hitch is one design too new for the machine. The blade is correct, and the mount on the mower is correct. The hitch, between the blade and mount, is from a 400 series Wonderboy. The difference is the foot lever on the left instead of the right. They did this because the 400 has a steering wheel and on the right side there is a pedal to push down to engage the drive. I also have a 400 wonderboy, but I gave the mount that fit it to Todd, because at the time I didn't have the mower. Todd has a 400 but not the hitch yet, if I remember right. If I find a hitch that is correct, I would assume Todd will inherit this one, but till then, it will have to do. Steve

There's a small hook and chain on there for holding the plow in the travel position. I used to have one. I sold the blade to Dan Reed, and the hitch to Todd. Once my 575 is done, I'm going to ask my local dealer to store it in his showroom for the winter.

Yes, I know about the chain and hook, just haven't gotten them on yet. The mount I have is the one you sold to Todd. My blade and hitch came from out east, can't remember quite where, but I think maybe Conn. or New Jersey. They came with the mount for the 400, which is different. It mounts to the two foot rests on the 400 Wonderboy, because it has the steering wheel, not the stick, so the front is different. That mount I gave to Todd. He had a 400 at the time and I didn't. The parts drawing I posted would be the correct hitch and also the hand lift handle for the 575 and 450, according to the book. The only difference is for the 450 the blade is narrower, and for the 575 it is the wider one. One is 30 inches, one is 36 inches. I have the correct 36 inch blade. Notice there is no removable edge on the bottom. It is also made from a bit lighter steel, I think. The hitch I have is for the next later series, the 400. Thus, no hand lift handle, and the foot lift is on the left side. Steve

8D Cool Steve...I thought it looked like all "Factory made parts" it just threw me when you were describing the....hitch from the...for the other...? I love that foot lift, I assume the blade will pivot also? I was gonna say something before about the "Ag tire" idea, but after seeing that later pic of Tim's I changed my mind...They look great! Again I think that is really something...would be perfect for somebody in town with a big yard and some sidewalks/driveway to plow.8D I want one now (with a plow) just for the WOW factor OO

Greg, Kind of the same with me. I have this set up only because it is kind of unique and unusual. I use my Allis 810 with cab and blower for my main snow removal, but rotate a back-up one for emergency use in case of breakdown, or just to play with, from year to year. Last year was my modified 616 with blower, year before that a stock 616 with blade. This year was going to be a single stage walk behind I got for $20 that was going to be recycled. The guy rebuilt the carb and it wouldn't run. Found out it sat for two years, so I cleaned out the old gas and dirt from the tank and carb and it runs beautiful. This is one of the old ones with the same transmission as my Wonderboy, with forward and reverse and high and low in each direction. Now I might go to the wonderboy, or might wait till I am done with paint,etc., which would probably put me into next year. But I am going to take it out once, just to try it out and get a video so Todd can see my amazing coordination!:D:D:D Oh, and yes, it does pivot. Steve

Greg, I no longer have the AG tires on my WB. I traded them for a pair of diamond stud tires. I never got a chance to use my snow blade setup. Your hands are real busy on these things to begin with between steering, changing directions, and stopping. Once you get the hang of it, they are a blast to manuever. I would like to watch someone actually plow snow with theirs. LOL, so the bracket on my photos, and Steve's is the same one.dOddOd

Tim, Yeah, its yours. See, I told you to just sell it to me to begin with, we could have eliminated the middle man!!:Dsm03 The video is being planned as we speak, so sometime around the first decent snowfall(assuming we have one) you can enjoy the show. I am looking forward to it too, will be a blast, I am sure. Steve ps looks like you get to be my 1000th post, do you get a prize for that or something? Check with Bob and seesm01sm04

Will get you some this weekend. My daughter and grandkids are coming for a visit, and the grandson, now 2 1/2 years old, can't wait to work on the trakkers with gaampa. We will have them all out and running. I can tell you the cover swings over backwards for access, and underneath is a 5 3/4 hp briggs horizontal. Will get some of the shifting and drive also. Steve

My granddaughter started driving my wonderboy 575 when she was 4 Loved popping wheelies with out the mower on . She is now 8 and still likes driving it but Grandson who is now almost 5 likes the allis 720

Photos as requested. And a bonus photo.:D:D The lever on the right side of the seat is Hi Lo. The lever on the left with the black knob is F/R. Up for forward, down for reverse. Mine has the electric start kit. The power train was adapted from one of Simplicity's two wheeled walkers, just turned around backwards.

Here are the pics. The first ones are of a walk behind single stage blower with the same drive arrangement. Then the ones under the hood of my 575.....

and now the 575......

The first 575 pic shows the left side, the white lever engages the deck, the black knob is forward, neutral, and reverse. The second is right hand side, the black knob is hi, neutral, and lo. The hi and lo are in the hub at the right side of the tranny where the axle shaft is, the forward and reverse are in the top of the tranny. The engine is a 5 3/4 hp horizontal shaft briggs. Mine is not the original but is the correct engine, just a couple of years newer, as evidenced by the carb and air cleaner being different. Steve Steve

Pretty cool looking set-up. Not sure how much snow it may move though. Think if I ever find one of those I'll have to fab a grader blade for, just seems right.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• AC710
    • Tarheel
    • BMinor0788
    • rich_kildow
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts