Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Me thinks it's going to be a long, cold winter

OrangeMetalGuy

Have been noticing that the squirrels have been burying nuts everywhere... much more activity than I have seen in several years and much earlier too. I don't recall noticing their discarded shells around nearly as much as I have seen them this year. Anyone else noticed this?

I got the sandblast cabinet out of the pole barn to refinish my snowblower and plow only to find both gloves stuffed full of acorns. That tells me 3 things: - Cold winter - I need to use the blaster more - I need more traps

down here in the deep South, you wouldn't normally think of cold winters. but the squirrels are trashing parts of my lawn. the oaks are hanging so low with acorns that the dog has been having an easy time thinning out the 'tree rats'. still, the lawn is full of small holes. at least the gum balls aren't dropping yet. the mower doesn't lift them to mulch them and they are hard to rake up. last winter we had half a dozen days that we had to delay mowing on the golf course due to frost. but that was gone by 9AM. a few days of 32 degree mornings will wipe out an awful lot of ornamental plants (i just planted 25 Hibiscous yesterday) and can even kill off some of the palm trees. just in case, i think i should go dig out the 3 belt snow blower. one never knows!

Squirrels very active digging up nuts in my yard here in Mooresville,NC. Also a bumper crop of black walnuts on the ground. We need a cold winter after last year.

My cats have already started eating like crazy to put on their winter fat. The wife and I were just saying that it would probably be a bad winter based on the cats. Also I have been finding walnuts all over my property that the squirrels have brought in, and there are no walnut trees within sight in any direction.

Yeah, same thing here Rod. That's why I'm ringing the warning bell. This is a pic from the last blizzard. Yes, that is my 716 Hydro under a tarp on the left. [IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn102/csa_forever_2008/2010%20Blizzard/DSC00854.jpg[/IMG] Now I have a nice sturdy shed for her!

Last year I did not even hook up my plow to my 7117H, just used my snow-blower 3 times and I did not even need to do that. after using it the snow melted with in a week. Keep us posted on any news about the amount of snow projections ... I might just hook up the plow and have the snow-blower both in the garage and ready just in case.

I'm hoping for a big dumpin'...last year was a big 'ol Crap Sandwich and I need to make up for it. I enjoy the varying seasonal tractor chores, and our new home will have triple the driveway to clear. ;)

ummmm - in case you missed it, I cancelled winter about a month and a half ago. Perhaps this is the first time you actually observed squirrels. When you see them climbing tall trees repeatedly in a repeated pattern all day long, with mouths full of leaves for nest creation, that's when you know it's time to run for the hills. Besides that, with glow-ball warming and a general d-frost at the poles, nothing will ever be like anything that the fortunate few remember, barring seniors' moments, which may be our last hope to save the planet. crk8 But if no one remembers, then what's it matter anyway. We can just call this here and now normal and move on to higher water levels and the need for new maps. :D :D It's just the usual 'who cares, we still have politics to blame' attitude. sm00 And this has already been happening for 3 generations - that I've seen (probably more like 10) with the result that we call a few trees a forest, when they are only mere saplings, compared to now defunct ancient forests. (yawn). time for a coffee. - just enjoy the seat time and snow fly blower toys. They'll find a new planet soon - maybe I hear spring is coming early - anyone else get that message? - keep your radar up. sm01 It's more interesting anyway. 4i And besides, it's the new standard in seniors moments, and quite fashionable really. 8D Tuning out is the new tuning in. Coffee time - I'm not good without my java. Peace.

What is the farmers alminac saying for this coming winter, espicaly in the great lakes area. I am in north central Indiana, about halfway between Indy and South Bend. Debating whether I should up my efforts to locate a snowthrower for my B1 or just stick with my blade. The squirrls here are also quite busy, making a mess of my garden railway. I did see one wolly worm that was all black. Mike

It's strange and instinctive with animals. Food is seemingly a dangerous thing. They pig out, eat all they can, and if there's food left lying around, well, that's going to attract other potentially threatening critters, territorial battles, etc. Dogs go nuts and almost kill themselves eating if there is excess. I think burying or hiding food is part of this. Either that or they are instinctive tree planters - maybe they are trying to do some reforestation - I dunno - planning future food supply. I'm just amazed at how they survive, finding food and shelter where there's not much visible by our standards. I've seen squirrels hang upside down on broken maple tree branches, sipping maple sap which is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Birds are into it too. Fall migration, where a whole flock land in your front yard trees, and they are eating something, berries, seeds, mess all over the ground and whoosh - gone. But the most amazing is survival in the deep dark of winter. Chickadeez love sunflower seeds, and they will put you on their list of daily visits, if you maintain a steady supply. (that takes a week or more, and individuals will tell the group). They make cool signal sounds. Hi pitched peeps. They grab seed and fly to nearest branch to 'head-bang' the seed open. back for more. They travel in packs. My fav winter bird. The other birds don't eat sunflower seeds. Chickadees are specially adapted for seeds in shells. They also have ways of saying thanks. /really. 8D